Post Thanks / Like

Smile "drinks cans"..... is this possible to say?

Hello

In my English textbook I am studying, there is an article about recycling. It says:

We can recycle everything that we make from aluminium. In the UK we sell 5 billion aluminium drinks cans every year. They are easy and cheap to recycle. So remember to always recycle your drinks cans.

Shouldn´t it say - 5 billion aluminium drink cans and..... always recycle your drink cans?

At first, I thought it must have been a print error, but when I saw it written again in the same paragraph, I thought then that this must be ok?

Thanks in advance
    Carlos

GaryEM is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "drinks cans"..... is this possible to say?

Soda , soft drink and even brand names are acceptable for carbonated drinks. It's a regional preference in the USA. Drinks cans is an acceptable phrase in the UK. You should know, it's the same meaning as soda cans , beveradge cans, and aluminum cans.
    Here is a good example.
    Wikipedia - beverage can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryEM View Post
    Soda , soft drink and even brand names are acceptable for carbonated drinks. It's a regional preference in the USA. Drinks cans is an acceptable phrase in the UK. You should know, it's the same meaning as soda cans , beveradge cans, and aluminum cans.
    Here is a good example.
    Wikipedia - beverage can
    Hi GaryEM,

Not sure if I understood what you wrote. What I wanted to know was whether it was possible to use the plural on both drinks and cans, as it sounds a little odd when spoken

GaryEM is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Using plural on both is not what the UK speakers are doing. They are using plural on drinks, because it indicates a variety of drinks. This is the same as a variety of different fish species is called fishes.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ingles_4u View Post
    Hello

In my English textbook I am studying, there is an article about recycling. It says:

We can recycle everything that we make from aluminium. In the UK we sell 5 billion aluminium drinks cans every year. They are easy and cheap to recycle. So remember to always recycle your drinks cans.

Shouldn´t it say - 5 billion aluminium drink cans and..... always recycle your drink cans?

At first, I thought it must have been a print error, but when I saw it written again in the same paragraph, I thought then that this must be ok?

Thanks in advance
    Carlos
    It is indicating that the cans are generically used to contain drinks [unspecified in type but which can be of many different kinds]. It is the term used by the can-making industry.