• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Post Thanks / Like

Default meaning of pad and padding

hi!

1) Can the word "pad" be used to mean "base"? For example: "mouse pad", "rocket launching pad", etc.

2) Please suppose that I am in a store trying to explain to the seller what I am looking for. If I say to him "it's like a pad that people step on in order to measure their weight", would he understand it easily? What would you think I am talking about?

3) Does "padding" also mean the soft fabric that covers the internal side of a coat? If so, should I use this word when asking information about a jacket, in a store? Would it be too formal? Is it common and natural English?

Thanks,
    jc

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: meaning of pad and padding

1. The original version of the mouse used a steel ball and the mouse pad/mat was introduced to help the ball rotate freely and so as not to scratch the table or desk. In this sense it wasn't really a 'base' for the mouse. Rocket or helicopter pads are flat surfaces from which to launch. The idea is to provide a level stable place and in this instance 'base' would probably be the idea.

2. I would understand that you wanted to buy a set of scales but not from your use of the word 'pad'.

3. yes you can talk about a padded jacket. Also about shoulder pads in an ordinary jacket or coat. Pad suggests soft material.

jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    3. yes you can talk about a padded jacket. Also about shoulder pads in an ordinary jacket or coat. Pad suggests soft material.
    hi,
    Does it refer to soft material when talking about clothes? Or generally speaking?
    Regarding question 2, why did you understand "a set of scales"? Acctually, my intention was to mean one scale only.
    Which word can I use in place of "pad" in "a pad that you step on..."?
    Thanks,
    jc

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hi,
    Does it refer to soft material when talking about clothes? Or generally speaking?
    Regarding question 2, why did you understand "a set of scales"? Acctually, my intention was to mean one scale only.
    Which word can I use in place of "pad" in "a pad that you step on..."?
    Thanks,
    jc
    #1 With reference to clothes, something that is padded has pieces of soft material inserted between the outer fabric and the lining to make it soft, give it a different shape, or protect what is inside.

Shoulder pads are shaped pieces of padding inserted into the shoulder of the garment.

#2 In the UK "a set of scales" is normal usage. In the US, "scale" will be preferred. Domestic scales have a base to stand on.

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Anglika is of course right. set of scales is what you meant in British English. Actually I didn't know Americans just say scale, so I learnt something here too! Thanks!

The padding in clothes often provides insulation against the cold.