• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My correspondence with a third grader #2

I only watched my friend play Mario Galaxy. It looked fun, but I chose to play Dance Dance Revolution instead because it was 3 in the morning and I needed to stay awake. I sort of remember playing Mouse Trap a long ago. All I remember of this game is that you have to build a ridiculously complicated mousetrap, and I though to myself, “all that trouble just to catch a mouse?” It was fun nonetheless.
    My favorite movie, eh? I don’t think I can pick one favorite movie! Have you seen the movie “Transformers”? It’s about good robots and bad robots from space brawling, wrestling, throwing and shooting missiles at each other here on earth and hurting a lot of people in the process. They should have taken their battle elsewhere. Why here on earth?
    I had so much to do this week and I feel almost dead now, partly because I had spent the reading week mostly hanging with friends when I should’ve done homework. Learn from my mistake, kid(name used), and do your homework the moment you receive it. It will do you good.
    Could you check for errors, especially in tense usage? thank you very much.

- HKB

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My correspondence with a third grader #2

only watched my friend play Mario Galaxy. It looked fun, but I chose to play Dance Dance Revolution instead because it was 3 in the morning and I needed to stay awake. I sort of remember playing Mouse Trap a long time ago. All I remember of this game is that you have to build a ridiculously complicated mousetrap, and I thought to myself, “All that trouble just to catch a mouse!” It was fun nonetheless.
    My favorite movie, eh? I don’t think I can pick one favorite movie! Have you seen the movie “Transformers”? It’s about good robots and bad robots from space, brawling, wrestling, throwing and shooting missiles at each other here on earth and hurting a lot of people in the process. They should have taken their battle elsewhere. Why here on earth?
    I had so much to do this week and I feel almost dead now, partly because I had spent the reading week mostly hanging [out/around/about]with friends when I should’ve done homework. Learn from my mistake, kid(name used), and do your homework the moment you receive it. It will do you good.

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the expression 'hang with' somewhere before, as in "So I stopped hanging with the man. Good kid in all, but just emotionally unstable and too dark."
    So this isn't an acceptable usage?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a usage I have met either in written or spoken English, though I can well believe it is out there. In a written piece it might be advisable to go with a more usual collocation.