1. Anonymous

how to improve English

DEar sir,
    I am new on this forum, and hope to improve my English, my first language is Chinese, and I would liek to improve my English writing skill, becasue I want to study Law degree later. I can write simple english as you read now. PL make any advice to me.

On the other hand, I want to read the english newspaper. do I need to find any words from the dictionary if I don;t understand.
    you iput would be appreciated

Ben

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    I would say use a dictionary when a word prevents you from understanding something. If the context helps you feel that you understand, then is there a need to look a new word up? It will slow you down and might get in the way.

2. wongmanbun
    thanks
    pls advsie what is the best method to improve my essay writing technics? is looking at the grammar book the one mehod? any other suggestions
    best regards,
    Ben

• Post Thanks / Like
    well i say your english isn't bad. its pretty good actually; you can improve your english vocabulary by buying those eng vocab games. i don't know if they have it in asia but i know they do in canada and they are pretty cheap.
    cost like $5 cad per disk

3. wongmanbun
    thanks your kind words gonghai,
    however, i would like to improve my standard, a I told at first mail, I hope that I can study the Law degree in the future, however, the requirement for English stadnard should be high, os I wnat to catch it up, pls make any method and suggestion to me

best regards,

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wongmanbun
    thanks your kind words gonghai,
    however, i would like to improve my standard, a I told at first mail, I hope that I can study the Law degree in the future, however, the requirement for English stadnard should be high, os I wnat to catch it up, pls make any method and suggestion to me

best regards,
    well i am not sure of hk but i am currently studying at the university of british columbia and i know that to get into law you don't need really good english.

4. wongmanbun
    H gonghai,
    may I get your email as I want to ask you more about the your ideas. In fact, sorry to ask for it as I hope you can help me to make the understanding
    pls send me the mail for further discussion, your help again would be appreciated
    Ben

email EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to improve English

Hi my name is Antonio. I was born in Mexico City and I speak spanish. I live in Lake Oswego, Oregon. I've been in this country for about 7 years. My English is very poor. I'd like to practice my writing with some one that can tell me if I am making progress.