Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bapi is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

"tan" /tn/ in AmE and BE

Dictionaries seem to show the pronunciation of the vowel "a" in words like "cat", or "add", or "tan" as // whether they refer to American or British pronunciation. However, American and English speakers pronounce these words differently. Would anybody know how to mark this difference with phonetic symbols? Thank you very much.

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "tan" /tn/ in AmE and BE

I dont believe we pronounce "cat", "add" or "tan" any differently from the RP variety. My dictionary and websters show the short a sound // (the ash) for those words. CEPD (D Jones) & LPD (JC wells) do not show variant AmE pronunciation for those words either.

bapi is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: "tan" /tn/ in AmE and BE

Thank you very much for your answer. I think they sound quite different, it's actually one of the differences between AmE and other English accents that strikes me as more evident. I mean when an American says "I got a tan", you can tell he/she's American! (I'm using examples from our last weekend at the beach!)

Americans (at least many Americans) would pronounce "tan" with a longer vowel and being Spanish, the American vowel sounds closer to a Spanish "e" and the British/Irish sounds more like a Spanish "a" (and it is shorter than the American vowel in this case).

The other day (down at the beach), my American friend who's here in Spain asked us "what's AADIR?" and my English friend (from near London) said "add". The American wouldn't understand the word until we spelt it for her and then she pronounced it again in a different way with her American accent. But unfortunately none of my English speaking friends know how to transcribe the difference phonetically!

I understand dictionaries show "ae" in either case, so I thought maybe somebody in the forum would be able to give me a hint as to what symbols I could use to represent this difference, even if it is in an informal way. I also understand it might be a difficult question (that's why i posted it in the forum).

belly_ttt is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's right bapi, the same problem here.
    Words like back, tackle, bag, pack, black etc. are spelled differently in AmE and BrE, so it's hard for me to hear both of the language well. In an American movie, I heard" My mom's in Sudan now"- I could hardly make it out because the actress pronounced it with a bare /e/ . Later, when I check it with howjsay.com (it's a British site), I heard it being pronounced as" Sudan /a/ "... I think even Meriam Webster cannot provide the whole thing, it sounds more like American with a little British- not the kind people speak in movies

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    That's right bapi, the same problem here.
    Words like back, tackle, bag, pack, black etc. are spelled differently in AmE and BrE, so it's hard for me to hear both of the language well. In an American movie, I heard" My mom's in Sudan now"- I could hardly make it out because the actress pronounced it with a bare /e/ . Later, when I check it with howjsay.com (it's a British site), I heard it being pronounced as" Sudan /a/ "... I think even Meriam Webster cannot provide the whole thing, it sounds more like American with a little British- not the kind people speak in movies
    Belly_ttt,
    When you say:
    Words like back, tackle, bag, pack, black etc. are spelled differently in AmE and BrE what are you refering to? I don't think the words are spelled differently. What am I missing?

I also listened to howjsay.com and I agree with Buddaheart, I dont believe we pronounce "cat", "add" or "tan" any differently than the Brits do!

Cheers,
    Amigo

Post Thanks / Like

Hi amigos4,
    One example is Sudan. I heard in being pronounced in an American movie as" Suden" but on howjsay, it's "Sudan", and words like sad, for instance, British pronounce it with an a while American tend to sound it as e

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    Hi amigos4,
    One example is Sudan. I heard in being pronounced in an American movie as" Suden" but on howjsay, it's "Sudan", and words like sad, for instance, British pronounce it with an a while American tend to sound it as e
    Hi, belly_ttt! It's good to hear from you, again!

I wish I knew what movie you were watching because in my circle of native AmE speakers we say 'Sudan' and 'sad'.

Check out the following sites: Sudan definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta
    sad definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

You said: Words like back, tackle, bag, pack, black etc. are spelled differently in AmE and BrE. How are they spelled differently?

Cheers,
    Amigo

bapi is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi again! For instance, if you go to wordreference, and click on the US pronunciation for "tan", tan - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com you can hear the vowel I am are talking about.

The pronunciation for words like add, black, or cat in Wordreference or The Free Dictionary is not the same though. They do sound like an "a", so I assume it is the standard pronunciation and you and your friends have a standard AmE.

HOWEVER, it is also quite obvious for me and any other English and Irish person I have checked with (and for betty_ttt), that many Americans don't use this standard pronunciation and use a sound that is more like "e". I'd say it is often more exaggerated than the pronounciation for "tan" in wordreference, at least in the way that the vowel feels longer. It's a bit like the difference between American "hot" and English "hot" (My Irish husband says English "hot" is pronounced with one "O" and American "hot" with four "As", he's only joking of course).

Anyway, the important question, would you know how to transcribe the sound for "tan" in wordreference phonetically? Thank very much to all of you for sharing your views

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bapi View Post
    Hi again! For instance, if you go to wordreference, and click on the US pronunciation for "tan", tan - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com you can hear the vowel I am are talking about.

Quite apart from this difference, there's also a difference in the way we assign the // phoneme. In British English "romance" (with //) doesn't rhyme with "dance" (with /ɑ:/), causing no end of problems for pop singers - who usually settle for /dns/, although on the King & I soundtrack Yul Brynner (playing a non-native speaker) got away with /rəʊ'mɑ:ns/) . This variance happens a lot in loan words - British /wɪg'wm/ but American /wɪg'wɑ:m/ (well, it's the /ɑ:/ phoneme, but it sounds to me - on the Cobuild CD - more like just [ɑ].

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Quite apart from this difference, there's also a difference in the way we assign the // phoneme. In British English "romance" (with //) doesn't rhyme with "dance" (with /ɑ:/), causing no end of problems for pop singers - who usually settle for /dns/, although on the King & I soundtrack Yul Brynner (playing a non-native speaker) got away with /rəʊ'mɑ:ns/) . This variance happens a lot in loan words - British /wɪg'wm/ but American /wɪg'wɑ:m/ (well, it's the /ɑ:/ phoneme, but it sounds to me - on the Cobuild CD - more like just [ɑ].

b
    Hm... WHo was that singer again? Still I cannot see the pronunciation in your post, but why do they cause problems for pop singers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast