Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,538
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    be familiar with sb

    The following sentence is taken from a test paper:

    Some people may know little about football, but when it comes to the Golden Ball winner Kaka, they must be familiar with him.

    I suspect the second part of the sentence should be 'they must know a lot about him'. And 'be familiar with him' is wrongly used here. Am I right?

    Thank you in advance.

  1. shalstudent's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 5,140
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: be familiar with sb

    The sentence is right.

    It means that people may not be very familiar with football but when it comes to Kaka (a football player or a sportsman), they may recognise him.

    Be familiar with means to Recognize.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,538
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: be familiar with sb

    Quote Originally Posted by shalstudent View Post
    The sentence is right.

    It means that people may not be very familiar with football but when it comes to Kaka (a football player or a sportsman), they may recognise him.

    Be familiar with means to Recognize.
    Macmillan:
    familiar 3: behaving in an informal and friendly way towards someone you do not know very well especially so that they feel you do not respect them: Don't be too familiar with customers.

    According to the explanation of the dictionary, I thought the 'familiar with him' in my original post was wrong.

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: be familiar with sb

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Macmillan:
    familiar 3: behaving in an informal and friendly way towards someone you do not know very well especially so that they feel you do not respect them: Don't be too familiar with customers.

    According to the explanation of the dictionary, I thought the 'familiar with him' in my original post was wrong.

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    Shalstudent has given you the correct definition.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,316
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: be familiar with sb

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    The following sentence is taken from a test paper:

    Some people may know little about football, but when it comes to the Golden Ball winner Kaka, they must be familiar with him.

    I suspect the second part of the sentence should be 'they must know a lot about him'. And 'be familiar with him' is wrongly used here. Am I right?

    Thank you in advance.
    It's fine.

    be familiar with =

    know
    know of
    recognized
    be acquainted with
    know something about

    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]

Similar Threads

  1. Familiar in or with?
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2007, 11:50
  2. wo seasons that you are familiar with and compare the two
    By quynhanh137 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-May-2007, 00:15
  3. Does Anyone Familiar with LPI Test?
    By Adios in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-May-2006, 05:46
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2004, 11:08
  5. shockingly familiar glimpse of ancient domestic life
    By NewHope in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2004, 05:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •