Antonio Guest

Default For a change/for change

Hi Group,

Which is the correct sentence "Voto for a change or vote for change". Another sentences that I heard was "How's that for a change" what does it mean, this is a right sentence or wrong?. In what cases can we use for a change and for change?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: For a change/for change

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio
    Hi Group,

Which is the correct sentence "Voto for a change or vote for change". Another sentences that I heard was "How's that for a change" what does it mean, this is a right sentence or wrong?. In what cases can we use for a change and for change?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.
    Vote for a change. (a specific change)
    Vote for change. (change in general)

Pat: Sam is doing the dishes!
    Max: Sam never does the dishes.
    Pat: I know. He has changed. (i.e., become a different person)
    Max: Yes. Sam has definitely changed!
    Sam: I did the dishes. :D How's that for a change (of pace/behavior)?
    Pat & Max: It's a welcomed change, Sam. 8)

Antonio Guest

ok, I got it, but what does it mean "How's that for a change" and can you give me some simple examples using the word for change and for a change to understand better the whole context.

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The word "change" without an article is usually a verb. "You need to change your outlook." When the word is used as a noun without the article it usually means coins, or the unspent part of a payment. "If you stand under the roller coaster, you can catch the change that falls out of people's pockets." "Please count your change before you leave the ticket window." When we say "for a change" it's idiomatic, usually omitting what is being changed. Examples: "It's hot for a change." (of weather [it has been cold]) "He went to work for a change." (of daily activity [he hasn't been working]). The phrase "for change" can only mean "in favor of change in general."

whl626 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio
    ok, I got it, but what does it mean "How's that for a change" and can you give me some simple examples using the word for change and for a change to understand better the whole context.

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.
    You are bored with the usual routine, and want to have something new to lighten yourself up. You can use ' for a change '. OR You are sick with having vegetables for your meals every day and hope to have some fish instead

Eg. Let's have some fish for a change, we've had too much vegetables over the week.