Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I can't say. I've never heard those terms used in North American English. What about, Tom, Dick, and Harry? As a phrase, it's used to refer to any guy in general, any Tom, any Dick, and any Harry. :wink:
    I know these buddies - Tom, Dick and Harry - I got acquainted with them while preparing to my lexicology exam

But my dictionary gives: Old Harry=Old Nick=DEVIL :?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanja
    I can't say. I've never heard those terms used in North American English. What about, Tom, Dick, and Harry? As a phrase, it's used to refer to any guy in general, any Tom, any Dick, and any Harry. :wink:
    I know these buddies - Tom, Dick and Harry - I got acquainted with them while preparing to my lexicology exam

But my dictionary gives: Old Harry=Old Nick=DEVIL :?
    Aha! British English. OK. Tdol should be here soon to shed some light for us. 8)

By the way,

Old Nick (nick vb. 'to steal' (your soul))
    Old Harry (harry vb. 'to despoil, ravage')

My dictionary gives Old Nick only. An online search proved the same. :(

Post Thanks / Like

[Old Nick (nick vb. 'to steal' (your soul))
    That's amazing how absurd and dreadful some names' origins can be... :?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

We use 'Old Nick' for the Devil, but I haven't heard 'Old Harry', we also call prison 'the Nick', and when a crook is caught, they are 'nicked'.

Post Thanks / Like

[Old Nick (nick vb. 'to steal' (your soul))
    That's amazing how absurd and dreadful some names' origins can be... :?
    Well, I believe Old Nick and Old Harry are specific. They refer to the devil: The old nicker (the one that steals your soul), and the old harrier ( the one that despoils and ravages). With regards to the well-known names Nick and Harry, they have different etymologies: They do not stem from the verbs 'nick' and 'harry'. :wink:

What does "Tanja" mean? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Then an expression: "Oh, Nick, steal my soul..." would be an example of tautology

Unfortunately, the origin of my name is lost somewhere in history.
    Feminine form of the Roman name Tatianus, which was from the Roman name Tatius, which is of unknown meaning. Several early saints bore this name.

Maybe in ancient Rome it also meant something dirty :D , though I prefer to believe it didn't :P :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    We use 'Old Nick' for the Devil, but I haven't heard 'Old Harry', we also call prison 'the Nick', and when a crook is caught, they are 'nicked'.
    I begin to feel confused... Maybe only English-Russian dictionary gives that Old Harry is a devil....but indeed he is a good guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I begin to feel confused... Maybe only English-Russian dictionary gives that Old Harry is a devil....but indeed he is a good guy
    Don't feel confused. I saw Old Harry (i.e., the devil) in several online dictionaries. Your dictionary is fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel confused. I saw Old Harry (i.e., the devil) in several online dictionaries. Your dictionary is fabulous!
    Yeah... it is so fabulous that it gives the translation of veggies as vegetarians So, when you wrote to tdol: "Eat more veggies", it smells like cannibalism

Post Thanks / Like

Then an expression: "Oh, Nick, steal my soul..." would be an example of tautology

Unfortunately, the origin of my name is lost somewhere in history.
    Feminine form of the Roman name Tatianus, which was from the Roman name Tatius, which is of unknown meaning. Several early saints bore this name.

Maybe in ancient Rome it also meant something dirty :D , though I prefer to believe it didn't :P :D
    Titus Tatius was from the town of Cures in Sabine. In that area, at the time, two main languages were spoken: Latin and Etruscan. In Latin, tata means, daddy (the diminutive for father). Add nominative -ius, and we get Tatius (The Great and Mighty?); In Etruscan, ta- means, this, and tius means, moon: Tatius (This moon?) Anyway, it was an interesting search.

Tatiana daughter of Tatius; Moonchild? Mother of Earth?

Tanja, Moon Goddess. :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast