Thread: Straight up/out

Antonio Guest

Straight up/out

Hi Group,

In a pub is common to heard or say for example: "Give me a whisky with a twist, straight up" means with "nothing on it" or what are they traying to say. Straight up, have also, another meaning, right? Is the same thing as straighten up?

Another phrasal verb that is commonly use in spoken english is straight out, what does it mean or the meanings, can you give me some examples. Again, is the same thing as straighten out?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Straight up/out

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio
    Hi Group,

In a pub is common to heard or say for example: "Give me a whisky with a twist, straight up" means with "nothing on it" or what are they traying to say. Straight up, have also, another meaning, right? Is the same thing as straighten up?

Another phrasal verb that is commonly use in spoken english is straight out, what does it mean or the meanings, can you give me some examples. Again, is the same thing as straighten out?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio
    Straight up means, no ice, no fruit, nothing, just the alcohol. :wink:
    With a twist means, take a slice of lemon or lime and twist it (i.e. add the lemon juice to the alcohol. The piece of lemon is called a twist.

Straighten up means, a) sit up straight or stand up straight; b) behave yourself; c) get your act/life together, and d) clean up the room.

Antonio Guest
    Can youme some examples to understand better the straighten up and straight up, means the same thing? I undestand that straight up means "tell the truth" is that right?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.