1044070 Guest

Default The Usage of the Verb 'To Lean'.

Hello,

I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this question and also apologise for such a question.

I have recently seen a sign that said: 'Do not lean anything on this wall', & for some reason, it did not sound right to me. I would probably write: 'Do not make anything lean on this wall'. I find it strange that something can 'lean' by itself, when I feel that it needs some sort of 'will' or an action to make something 'lean'. When you say 'Do not lean on this wall', it indicates that 'you' should not 'lean' on the wall, and not something to lean against it?

Sorry for this silly question, but I would truly appreciate it if you could tell me: 'you are mad' and / or if it the above sign is correct, I would be grateful, if someone could clarify this mystery of mine....

Thank you very much,

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: The Usage of the Verb 'To Lean'.

Quote Originally Posted by 1044070
    Hello,

I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this question and also apologise for such a question.

I have recently seen a sign that said: 'Do not lean anything on this wall', & for some reason, it did not sound right to me. I would probably write: 'Do not make anything lean on this wall'. I find it strange that something can 'lean' by itself, when I feel that it needs some sort of 'will' or an action to make something 'lean'. When you say 'Do not lean on this wall', it indicates that 'you' should not 'lean' on the wall, and not something to lean against it?

Sorry for this silly question, but I would truly appreciate it if you could tell me: 'you are mad' and / or if it the above sign is correct, I would be grateful, if someone could clarify this mystery of mine....

Thank you very much,

Lean can be either transitive or intransitive.

You can lean against/on a wall or lean on somebody. This means that your body is resting against a wall or another person in an inclined position.

You can also lean something against/on a wall. e.g. I leaned a ladder against the wall. This means that you rested the upper end of the ladder on the wall.

Hope this helps.
    :)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

If a tree is not straight, you can simply say it 'leans' without any further reference, or, better, take the Leaning Tower of Pisa.