• Post Thanks / Like

my essay needs grammar check

Topic: a dog is a manís best friend. Agree or Disagree?

I love dogs and have a dog as a pet. However, I do not think that a dog is a manís best friend. The reason for this is because dogs do not live longer than human and dogs cannot share emotional thoughts like human can.

My uncle had a dog and he adored it like his child. Two year ago, the dog died and he was very upset. He had it for thirteen years. One month later, he went to the pet shop and bought a new Chow Chow. I disagree that a dog is a manís best friend is because in my opinion, I do not think that a best friend can be replaced by another just because it died.

Unlike human, dogs cannot talk, and their only way to communicate is through actions and barking. I rather have a human as a best friend because we can communicate and do a lot of things together. For instance, we could go to the arcade and eat dinner together. However, there are a lot of places that do not allow dogs to be present.

I can accept a dog as a good friend but not a best friend. A best friend is someone that I spend a lot of time with, share emotional feelings and do really cool things together. I consider my dog as a family member.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    End of para 1- as humans can. 'like' would be used by many, so I wouldn't say it's wrong, but purists would use 'as'.

Para 2 l1- Did your uncle have a child he adored or do you mean 'as if it were his child'?
    l2 He had had it??

Para 3 l1-2 I would rather have

l4- I'd delete 'to be present'

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    End of para 1- as humans can. 'like' would be used by many, so I wouldn't say it's wrong, but purists would use 'as'.

Para 2 l1- Did your uncle have a child he adored or do you mean 'as if it were his child'?
    l2 He had had it??

Para 3 l1-2 I would rather have

l4- I'd delete 'to be present'

l2 He had had it?<--- my uncle does not have a child but treats his dog as if it was his child.

thanks for the editing tdol your a great helper

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: my essay needs grammar check