Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 27
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Please check out my tree diagram. I am not sure what to do next

    Harry saw the people with a telescope. I am not sure what to do with a. Would it be a PP or is it considered an auxiliary verb or an indefinite article: a house a car. just help me get a clue please.

    ......S
    ....../\
    ..np ..vp
    ..... /\
    Harry.. V np
    ...........saw /\
    ..........Np pp
    ............/\
    ...the people P Np
    .....................with /\
    ..........................det N
    ..............................|..... |
    .............................a ....telescope

    I am not sure I am even right.
    Last edited by Bmack; 09-Mar-2008 at 01:21.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 210
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Please check out my tree diagram. I am not sure what to do next

    Here is my suggestion:
    Harry saw the people with a telescope

    Harry= Subject (Noun Phrase)
    Saw= verb
    The people = Object (Noun Phrase)
    With a telescope = Adverbial (prepositional Phrase)


    Object: The people (noun Phrase)
    The= Determiner
    People = Head Noun

    Adverbial: With a telescope (prepositional Phrase)
    With = Preposition
    A telescope = Noun Phrase
    A= Determiner ,,,,,, telescope = Head Noun

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 27
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Wink Re: Please check out my tree diagram. I am not sure what to do next

    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Abu Risha View Post
    Here is my suggestion:
    Harry saw the people with a telescope

    Harry= Subject (Noun Phrase)
    Saw= verb
    The people = Object (Noun Phrase)
    With a telescope = Adverbial (prepositional Phrase)


    Object: The people (noun Phrase)
    The= Determiner
    People = Head Noun

    Adverbial: With a telescope (prepositional Phrase)
    With = Preposition
    A telescope = Noun Phrase
    A= Determiner ,,,,,, telescope = Head Noun

    Thanks! I see, I have to break down " the people into Det, and N. So that would be NP-det,N


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 210
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Please check out my tree diagram. I am not sure what to do next

    Quote Originally Posted by Bmack View Post
    Thanks! I see, I have to break down " the people into Det, and N. So that would be NP-det,N
    Exactly :)


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 17
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Please check out my tree diagram. I am not sure what to do next

    Quote Originally Posted by Bmack View Post
    Harry saw the people with a telescope. I am not sure what to do with a. Would it be a PP or is it considered an auxiliary verb or an indefinite article: a house a car. just help me get a clue please.

    ......S
    ....../\
    ..np ..vp
    ..... /\
    Harry.. V np
    ...........saw /\
    ..........Np pp
    ............/\
    ...the people P Np
    .....................with /\
    ..........................det N
    ..............................|..... |
    .............................a ....telescope

    I am not sure I am even right.
    Clue: If /a/ heads a determiner phrase, as you've guessed, what does the previous word head? Think of the phrase structure rules.

Similar Threads

  1. Tree diagram for abiguous sentences
    By triki in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2010, 12:52
  2. live check to check
    By kpkroy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2008, 14:49
  3. The Neem Tree (Please help me!)
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2006, 14:00
  4. the <Kennedy, Kennedys' or Kennedy's> family tree
    By justcurious in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2005, 11:20
  5. the term for 'fir tree'
    By Veronikap in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2005, 11:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •