• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My breakfast recipe... sort of

Could you check the following for errors? and could you also suggest other verbs I can use? the whole time I was writing this, I was frustrated with the lack of variety in my usable range of verbs. It gets quite repetitive when you know only a limited set of verbs.

A championís breakfast: a hearty meal for active men

This is how I eat every morning. It has been roughly three months since I started eating like this and since then I have a lot more energy throughout the day. This is also quite gentle on your stomach and gives you very little trouble down there for those with hyper-sensitive intestines like myself.

This is what you need for this meal:

[Picture of all ingredients laid out in a single place]

Ingredients: three large eggs, pepper, Cajun powder, salt, milk, ketchup, 5 strips of fat-reduced bacon (I use Better than Bacon from Pillers), 1/3 a small bag of vegetables (283g per bag), 1/2 small canned pineapple (398ml can), one large tomato, two hash browns, a non-stick cooking spray

Optional ingredient: Sesame oil

This takes: 25 mins for prep and cooking if youíre used to the routine and know where things are. You fumble for things and this could take 40 minutes.

1. Put two heads, I mean, hash browns, into the oven. You can just lay a layer of aluminum foil in the oven and put the hash browns on it or if you got one of those metal containers for ovens, lay on it a layer of foil just big enough so that its edges wrap along the corners of the container, and then put the hash browns in it. This is so that you donít have to wash the container; you just discard the foil after youíre done cooking.

2. Slam the oven door and set its temperature to 450F / 230C. Those hash browns take roughly 20 minutes to brown.

3. You donít idle for 20 minutes. You prepare other things in the meanwhile. Crack the eggs in a container, pour in a bit of milk, spray Cajun power and pepper, put some salt in and mix with a fork. This is your scrambled egg mixture.

4. Next, you prepare your salad dish. Use 1/3 of a 283g or 10oz bag of pre-packaged vegetables. Wash it, put it into a strainer to drain water, and lay it onto a dish.

5. Slice one or two tomatoes into chucks and pour them onto the same dish.

6. Open a canned pineapple - 398ml or 14oz a can, you can use any similar-sized cans. Lay half the content onto again the same dish and pour the rest into a Tupperware, which youíll put into the fridge and save for later use.

7. Sprinkle some salt on and season with a few spoons of sesame oil. Any dressings will do, but sesame oil has aroma and taste not comparable to any other. Your salad is complete, check your hash browns and see if they are cooked. If you were fast enough with the salad prep, they probably arenít, so just flip them and put them back in.

8. Now itís time to fry bacon. Slice your strips of bacon into appropriate size bits. If they were regular bacons you wouldnít need slicing at all because they shrink as you fry them, but these bacons are essentially ham in disguise. Hams donít shrink. Especially low-fat ones.

9. Apply non-stick cooking spray on the skillet youíre going to use. Set the stove temperature to mid-high and throw in the bacon bits. Those ham bacons have feelings, too, and they want to be cooked gently. You set the temperature too high and theyíll jump and quickly burn. Stir until cooked.

10. Pour them onto another dish. So you have one dish for salad and one for the rest.

11. Wash the skillet thoroughly, as youíll use it again for your scrambled eggs and not only blacks from bacon (or any meat) will ruin your scrambled eggs, but they are cancerous. Until the day we conquer cancer, letís just avoid it as much as we can.

12. Apply the non-stick cooking spray onto the skillet again and preheat for a minute or two at a mid to mid-high temperature.

13. Check your hash browns again. If they are done, take them out and lay onto the dish where bacon is laid out.

14. Pour the egg mix onto the skillet. Spread it evenly onto the skillet and let it sit for a while. Then go crazy and scramble it.

15. Empty the content onto the dish.

16. Squeeze ketchup on a corner of the dish for hash browns and eggs.

17. Hog away.

This meal is inspired from an overnight stay at my friend A's house while I was back home in Cambridge over the summer. His mom treated me and B, an equally good friend of mine, to breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon and hash brown. Typical North American breakfast, you might say, but this was the first real North American breakfast Iíve had in my 9 years of living in Canada. I had been cooking stir fries every day all through my first year in Ottawa and grown tired of them, and was pondering about ideas for simple, tasty and nutritious meals. I had forgotten about it until I came back to Ottawa for my second year at the university, and I suddenly recalled the breakfast I had at A's house and decided to modify it into my own style, by going low fat and adding salad.

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My breakfast recipe... sort of

Makes me hungry just reading it ...

This takes: 25 mins for prep and cooking if youíre used to the routine and know where things are. If you have to fumble for things, it could take 40 minutes.

1. Put two heads, I mean, hash browns, into the oven. You can just place a layer of aluminum foil in the oven and put the hash browns on it, or if you have one of those metal containers for ovens, line it with a layer of foil just big enough so that its edges wrap around the corners of the container, and then put the hash browns in it. This is so that you donít have to wash the container afterwards; you just discard the foil after youíre done cooking.

2. Slam the oven door shut and set its temperature to 450F / 230C. Those hash browns will take roughly 20 minutes to brown.

3. You shouldn't just sit around waiting for 20 minutes. You can prepare other things in the meantime. Crack the eggs into a container, pour in a bit of milk, sprinkle on some Cajun powder and pepper, add some salt and beat with a fork. This is your scrambled egg mixture.

4. Next, you prepare your salad dish. Use 1/3 of a 283g or 10oz bag of pre-packaged vegetables. Wash the vegetables, put them into a strainer to drain off the excess water, and put them onto a dish.

5. Chop one or two tomatoes into chunks and place them on the same dish.

6. Open a can of pineapple- a 398ml or 14oz can - you can use any similar-sized can. Put half the contents onto the same dish and drop the rest into a Tupperware container, which you should then put into the fridge to save for later use.

7. Sprinkle on some salt and season with a few spoons of sesame oil. Any dressing will do, but sesame oil has a unique aroma and taste, which will complement the dish perfectly. Your salad is complete, check your hash browns to see if they are cooked. If you were quick enough with the salad prep, they probably arenít, so just flip them over and put them back in.

8. Now itís time to fry the bacon. Cut your strips of bacon into appropriate size bits. If it is regular bacon, you won't need to do this at all because the rashers will shrink as you fry them, but bacon is essentially ham in disguise. Ham doesnít shrink - especially if it is low-fat.

9. Apply non-stick cooking spray to the skillet youíre going to use. Set the stove temperature to mid-high and throw in the bacon bits. Those ham bacons bits have feelings, too, and they want to be cooked gently. If you set the temperature too high, theyíll jump about and quickly burn. Stir until cooked.

10. Tip them onto another dish. So you have one dish for salad and one for the rest.

11. Wash the skillet thoroughly, as youíll need to use it again for your scrambled eggs and not only will blacks from bacon (or any meat) ruin your scrambled eggs, but they can also cause cancer. Until the day we conquer cancer, letís just avoid it as much as we can.

12. Apply the non-stick cooking spray to the skillet again and preheat for a minute or two at a mid to mid-high temperature.

13. Check your hash browns again. If they are done, take them out and lay them onto the dish where the bacon is laid out.

14. Pour the egg mix onto the skillet. Spread it evenly and let it sit for a while. Then go crazy and scramble it.

15. Empty the contents of the skillet onto the dish.

16. Squeeze some ketchup onto the corner of the dish for the hash browns and eggs.

17. Hog away.

This meal is inspired from an overnight stay at my friend A's house while I was back home in Cambridge over the summer. His mom treated me and B, an equally good friend of mine, to breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon and hash browns. A typical North American breakfast, you might say, but this was the first real North American breakfast Iíve had in my 9 years of living in Canada. I had been cooking stir fries every day all through my first year in Ottawa and grown tired of them, and was pondering about ideas for simple, tasty and nutritious meals. I had forgotten about it until I came back to Ottawa for my second year at the university, and I suddenly recalled the breakfast I had at A's house and decided to modify it into my own style, by going low fat and adding salad.

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My breakfast recipe... sort of

Thanks Horsa, that was awesome. I learned a lot of words I can now use.

Could you do me a favor and change the colour you used for the corrections? it's very hard on my eyes because the light green is almost indistinguishable from black...