Phylan78 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Privare Tuition after several years abscence from teaching, Can anyone offer advice?

Could anyone offer advice as to how to assess the pupils level? And perhaps also suggest resources for functional/business English?.

I am a fully qualified E.F.L. teacher, but 3 or 4 years inactive. I'd like to return. I'm considering advertising offering private tuition for starters. While I am confident of my own ability, I feel rusty and out of practice. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom in how to overcome this.

Thanks
    Alan in Ireland

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Privare Tuition after several years abscence from teaching, Can anyone offer advi

As to level there are a number of tests available - just search for placement test efl.

There is one here

Language Link. .Test

Resources - It depends on level and how you want to go about it. there are series of books like Market leader or In Company for Business English and they both have resource packs/supplementary material. There is a fair amount online too. It's easy enough to find things like sample business letters etc. Just search for what you want.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Privare Tuition after several years abscence from teaching, Can anyone offer advi

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that teaching English is sort of like riding a bicycle. It doesn't matter how long it's been, you still have the skills and the ideas needed to be back on the bike (teaching) in no time.

I was out of ESL teaching for a bit during my ten years in the industry, and I felt a little slow during the first few classes. To be honest, I think some of that was due to nervousness and second guessing my own decisions.

Don't worry about the three to four years' absence, and chalk up the first few lessons to nothing different than the three hundredth or four hundredth lesson: the chance to weigh the lesson's strengths and weaknesses, and improve as a teacher.

Good luck, and welcome back to the classroom!

Chris Cotter
    Heads Up English - Just print, and teach!
    English Lesson Plans | Heads Up English | ESL EFL

Phylan78 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all.

So when I meet an individual for the first time, not knowing anything about them, what would one suggest I do first?. Ask what they need to know ie. for a workplace or job application? Try to ascertain their level? . Any tips as to how to appear professional and competent?. I am both of course...just require fine tuning!

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You should carry out a needs analysis - especially if the client wants business English.

There are a couple of needs analysis forms at:

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=146827

http://www.onestopenglish.com/sectio...7&docid=146828