Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    not only...but also

    1) Success not only depends on talent but also on effort. :(
    2) Succcess depends not only on talent but also on effort. :D

    We have to put preposition phrase after 'not only' if thre's any. In addition, either preposition that follows 'not only' and 'but also' cannot be omitted. Am I wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: not only...but also

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    1) Success not only depends on talent but also on effort. :(
    2) Succcess depends not only on talent but also on effort. :D

    We have to put preposition phrase after 'not only' if thre's any. In addition, either preposition that follows 'not only' and 'but also' cannot be omitted. Am I wrong?
    not only...but also is a correlative conjunction. It joins words, phases, or clauses of equal rank.

    Verb phrases
    Success not only depends on talent, but also requires initiative.

    Prepositional phrases
    Success depends not only on talent, but also on effort.

    Noun phrases
    Not only milk, but also bread.

    Clauses
    Not only does he do his best, but also he does it correctly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! It's super clear!
    Thanks for making my days brighter! :D

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Ah! It's super clear!
    Thanks for making my days brighter! :D
    You are welcome. :D

    By the way, speakers often

    1. omit (...) 'also':

    Not only that, but (also) this.

    2. omitted 'but':

    Not only did he do that, (but) he also did this.

    3. separate 'but' and 'also':

    Not only did he do that, but he also did this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were a student of yours in Japan, that would be fatastic! :wink:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: not only...but also

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Success not only depends on talent, but also requires initiative.
    Cas, what exactly is "initiative" in a sentence like "success requires initiative"? The ability to decide what to do? I don't quite get the long explanation in the dictionary. :(

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: not only...but also

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Success not only depends on talent, but also requires initiative.
    Cas, what exactly is "initiative" in a sentence like "success requires initiative"? The ability to decide what to do? I don't quite get the long explanation in the dictionary. :(
    The ability to do/start something on your own. :wink: That is, no one tells you what to do or how to do something. You see a situation and decide on your own how to act. Management (i.e., supervisors, managers, bosses) usually has initiative. In North America, companies tend to hire people with initiative/who have initiative. :)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    If I were a student of yours in Japan, that would be fatastic! :wink:
    Thanks/Thanx :D

    Where are your students from?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: not only...but also

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Success not only depends on talent, but also requires initiative.
    Cas, what exactly is "initiative" in a sentence like "success requires initiative"? The ability to decide what to do? I don't quite get the long explanation in the dictionary. :(
    Joe, :D , in your Location's field is states:

    Where everything is all "people's"

    Which of the two, A or B, does it mean? :?

    A. Where everything belongs to the people.
    B. Where everywhere you look there are people.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: not only...but also

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Joe, :D , in your Location's field is states:

    Where everything is all "people's"

    Which of the two, A or B, does it mean? :?

    A. Where everything belongs to the people.
    B. Where everywhere you look there are people.
    Cas, I meant "A", literally. I have no idea how it appeared to a native speaker that I might be suggesting "B".

    We have almost everything labelled "people's", like "people's republic", "people's army", "people's court", etc. However, they are ignoring one simple fact: the more whatever you get, the more it gets unworthy. :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •