Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: too much gas

  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    too much gas

    I worked in Italy for a period and I learned car driving in Roma.
    My driving school teacher was a giant Italian man in his fifties.

    He sat beside me in the car while I was driving. Each time when
    he wanted me to slow down, he would say in Italian, "piano, piano,
    piano." When he wanted me to accelerate, he would say in English
    "too much gas, too much gas, too much gas!"

    Whether it was piano or too much gas, he would always use his
    hands to make emphasis, as if Pavarotti was teaching me to drive.
    So musical language, so unforgettable experience!

  2. lucyarliwu
    Guest
    #2

    Re: too much gas

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I worked in Italy for a period and I learned car driving in Roma.
    My driving school teacher was a giant Italian man in his fifties.

    He sat beside me in the car while I was driving. Each time when
    he wanted me to slow down, he would say in Italian, "piano, piano,
    piano." When he wanted me to accelerate, he would say in English
    "too much gas, too much gas, too much gas!"

    Whether it was piano or too much gas, he would always use his
    hands to make emphasis, as if Pavarotti was teaching me to drive.
    So musical language, so unforgettable experience!

    It sounds a funny but a real life story! :)

    It makes me automatically think of how colorful and important part of language in life no matter what tongue you use, at this time, it's so natural to say to himself: How beautiful the life is with some much beautiful melody of language inside! :)

    Cherish life around you! :)

    Lucy in China

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: too much gas

    The American expression for telling somebody to speed up would be: "Give it some gas." "Too much gas" implies that the driver is going too fast. The Italian instructor did, probably, by means of gestures and inflection make clear his true intentions.

    8)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    I thought 'piano' meant 'quiet'. ;-(

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I thought 'piano' meant 'quiet'. ;-(
    In Italian:
    piano
    In English:
    slowly

    (From Dictionary.com translator)

    8)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    You live and learn.

  5. lucyarliwu
    Guest
    #7

    Re: too much gas

    Is it easy to study Italian language?
    It seems Italian has something in common with English as a language according to ' piano' is " slowly' :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    A lot of English vocab is similar because we got it from French.

  6. lucyarliwu
    Guest
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A lot of English vocab is similar because we got it from French.
    Hi,Tdol!

    You have given me an implication that I should turn to learn French firstly if I want to study English well since most English is from French!
    ;) hehe....what do you think of this?

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: too much gas

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    Is it easy to study Italian language?
    It seems Italian has something in common with English as a language according to ' piano' is " slowly' :)
    Many, many music terms are from Italian.

    8)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •