Post Thanks / Like

"respective issue" in last will and testament

Hello There!

Could you please clarify, if possible, the meaning of "respective issue " in the following clause:

....to
    my chlldren, GEORGE R. XXX and ANDREW M. XXX, to share and share alike, or to their respective issue should any of them predecease me.

Best Regards,
    Wojtek.

Batfink is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "respective issue" in last will and testament

Their "issue" refers to their children. I imagine that "respective issue" means the heir in the event of death.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Batfink for your prompt answer.
    So, if I follow you the right way the heir would be a grandchild - a child of any of the sons.

And what would you say about the fragment "under circumstances that there is no sufficient we died"

In the even that my husband, NIKODEM J XXX , and I shall die under circumstances that there is no sufficient we died otherwise than simultaneously, then my husband' NlKODEM XXX , to be my Executor of this my last Will and Testament, to serve without furnishing bond.

For me it seems that something is missing in this sentence, but surelly I must be wrong

Batfink is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wojtel View Post
    Thank you Batfink for your prompt answer.
    So, if I follow you the right way the heir would be a grandchild - a child of any of the sons.

And what would you say about the fragment "under circumstances that there is no sufficient we died"

In the even that my husband, NIKODEM J XXX , and I shall die under circumstances that there is no sufficient we died otherwise than simultaneously, then my husband' NlKODEM XXX , to be my Executor of this my last Will and Testament, to serve without furnishing bond.

For me it seems that something is missing in this sentence, but surelly I must be wrong
    It is indeed bad English. So do not worry about your English.

If I was married and had a boy then my estate would go to him. Whether he had a child or not.

"Sufficient" is an adjective, so without a noun I am at a loss as to the precise meaning of the statement. Also, I have a problem with "than". Mmm...

In the even that my husband, NIKODEM J XXX , and I die under circumstances in which there is no suspicion, then my husband's heir (heir issue?) NlKODEM XXX , is to be the Executor of my last Will and Testament, to serve without furnishing bond.

Is this what you mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Eureka! And yet the sentence must be short of one word "evidence"

I guess the notary must have forgotten this word when changing the sheets of paper, since the last words on the first page are "...is no sufficient", while the following page starts with "we died...

http://www.justice.gov.gu/Compilerof...ca/15gc013.PDF

Thank you once again for your time. And please feel free to correct my own sentences, if they are put wrong way.

Have a nice weekend Batfink!