Post Thanks / Like

Default Could someone give me some info about this sentence?

Where do you want to go/see/visit.

Can anyone give me an analysis this sentence.

For example: you could replace 'do' with 'would' etc. Also, does "want" have a special name in this context (ie, you could use wish, need, have, etc)

I would be grateful for any clarification.

Thanks!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Could someone give me some info about this sentence?

'Would' is OK there; it could be used to sound polite, or to ask about any ideas that the person has already had. 'Would...like' might be more common, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you want to go/see/visit.

For example: you could replace 'do' with 'would' etc. Also, does "want" have a special name in this context (ie, you could use wish, need, have, etc

Let's look at some examples and the differences in meaning:
    "When you come to London, what would you like to see/where would you like to go?"
    'like to' has the flavour of, 'it would be nice to', 'wouldn't it be exciting to actually see Buckingham Palace'. The person may only have a vague idea of what to see and do in London.
    compare:
    "When you come to London, what would you want to see?"
    This is asking for definite choices and preferences. As his friend/guide, showing him around, I might have my ideas of what a visitor to London would like to see, but he may have other definite ideas. He might say, "I'm not interested in all the usual tourist things. I want to go to the British Museum, and the British Library, and try to see the life of real people, like in a cockney pub."
    I've just come back from the Western Caribbean, and was so disappointed by some of the ports we went to - the names had always held so much alure before! So - if a friend said he was going to Aruba or Curacao, I might retort: "What would you want to go there for? It's a dump - there's nothing to see!" The implication is, what is it that is attracting him to go there, what is it he really must see that he's heard about to make him want to go there, almost as if he had some burning need (as in, I must see Rome before I die.)

Have you any more variations on this you'd like to run past me??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David!

I have to stick pretty closely to the Target Language. I think I want to point out that: ("Where do you want to go/see/visit", and "Why do you want to go/see//visit there?) is basically the same structure.

Also, I think I want to say how "do" is the auxiliary of the present simple question form. I want to try to get the learners to find the language themselves.

What is baffling me a little is whether there is a name for the verbs to replace 'want' in the sentence, as they seem quite specific. (ie, want, need, wish, hope).

Anyway, any clarification would be much appreciated.