Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    long elegant scalp

    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of "scalp" in the following context.

    Jopale assumed she was heading west, perhaps even to the New Isles.
    But no, she explained that she didn't have any ticket. She'd heard about his plans and simply come here to speak with him now.
    "Please," she implored, touching her wide mouth, then running a hand across her long, elegant scalp.

    Does "scalp" mean "hair" in this case.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of "scalp" in the following context.

    Jopale assumed she was heading west, perhaps even to the New Isles.
    But no, she explained that she didn't have any ticket. She'd heard about his plans and simply come here to speak with him now.
    "Please," she implored, touching her wide mouth, then running a hand across her long, elegant scalp.

    Does "scalp" mean "hair" in this case.

    It probably does, but it sounds like you are quoting from a badly translated piece of writing. Nobody has a long, elegant scalp ! (Nobody I know, anyway). It probably means that she runs her hand through her hair.

  3. #3
    KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by fromatto View Post
    It probably does, but it sounds like you are quoting from a badly translated piece of writing. Nobody has a long, elegant scalp ! (Nobody I know, anyway). It probably means that she runs her hand through her hair.
    Thank you very much again, fromatto.

    Although I'm not a native speaker, the "long elegant scalp" does sound very odd to me. The most surprising thing is that the story I'm quting from is not a translation, it's written by a modern american writer.

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Perhaps it means the simply her head? She had a shapely head? I don't find it very natural.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Thank you very much again, fromatto.

    Although I'm not a native speaker, the "long elegant scalp" does sound very odd to me. The most surprising thing is that the story I'm quting from is not a translation, it's written by a modern american writer.


    It's possible then, that something bad is going to happen in the story. Native Americans (the American Indians), took pride in removing the scalp from their victims. This was known as 'scalping'. The more scalps you took, the better and more fiercesome warrior you were. Maybe the writer is drawing the reader's attention to the imminence of Jopale's death. I'm sure my interpretation is rubbish !
    Last edited by fromatto; 16-Mar-2008 at 18:51. Reason: lack of confidence

  6. #6
    KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Perhaps it means the simply her head? She had a shapely head? I don't find it very natural.
    The author does not describe her appearance in details. He only says that she was a natural beauty and that she had a lovely face.

  7. #7
    KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by fromatto View Post
    It's possible then, that something bad is going to happen in the story. Native Americans (the American Indians), took pride in removing the scalp from their victims. This was known as 'scalping'. The more scalps you took, the better and more fiercesome warrior you were. Maybe the writer is drawing the reader's attention to the imminence of Jopale's death. I'm sure my interpretation is rubbish !
    Well, I have not read the story to the end but, indeed, something bad is going to happen because the whole world is in danger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: long elegant scalp

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Well, I have not read the story to the end but, indeed, something bad is going to happen because the whole world is in danger.

    That is true ! You don't have to read the novel to know that !

Similar Threads

  1. in a long time/ for a long time
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-May-2009, 16:13
  2. by a long measure
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2008, 22:33
  3. pushed in from every side, carried a long ways
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2008, 21:29
  4. in a long time/ for a long time
    By sairashab in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2007, 05:54
  5. In a long time / For a long time
    By theanglophile in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2005, 09:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •