Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gil45 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

proofreading and grammar software

Hi,

Due to my work I need to write many business related emails everyday, there are days where it comes to dozens. Not once it happened that after delivering important emails or documents I find embarrassing grammatical errors or missing punctuation marks. (I guess I'm not the only one... )

In order to avoid these problems, I just let word's automatic grammar checker correct my english together with another grammar software I recently found, however, I wonder if anyone could recommend of a professional tool that combines the following: proofreading, grammatical analysis and simplifying my writing in order to make long emails short and effective…

I know there are many solutions out there, but none seem to be able to answer all of my needs and I would appreciate a professional advice before I spend my money on useless solutions.

Thanks.

Gilbert.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: proofreading and grammar software

Caveat emptor (if you'll excuse my Fr... Latin ). Any such system exposes you to the prescriptions of whoever wrote the software. For example, just try typing "which" without a preceding comma in Word, and see what happens. Many of my colleagues at DEC (as was) used to use Grammatik, but I always preferred a mixture of books, education, and common sense.

b

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

I do so agree! I use grammar checks as a final line sometimes, and even then tend to ignore their prescriptions.

Much better to have a good basic printed grammar guide on your desk.

gil45 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies and advices.

For sure no grammar check software is able to analyze sentences as the human mind, I agree that holding a grammar guide is much more accurate than any professional english grammar software, but for a busy person as myself who needs to write 'tons' of emails and other documentation, there is simply no time to manually proofread text...

Even if such grammar software can help with 20%-30% on correcting and improving my english writing that is already something and a real time saver for me, I just can't imagine myself opening a grammar guide while writing my emails...

Question is how reliable these grammar tools can get and which engines are considered as most accurate? How do they analyze grammar anyway…?

Cheers,

Gilbert.

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You could check this out. It has a business writing version. It's not free though. I've heard its OK, but have no personal knowledge of it. Like the others I prefer a book.

All-in-One English Writing and Grammar Software | Advanced Grammar Checker | Innovative Spell Checker | Comprehensive Dictionary and Thesaurus

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gil45 View Post
    ...but for a busy person as myself who needs to write 'tons' of emails and other documentation, there is simply no time to manually proofread text...
    As someone once told me when I'd caused lots of extra work by trying to save time, 'If you haven't got time to do it right, you have to find time to put it right.'

In my experience of this sort of software, grammar-checkers make suggestions (and sometimes even 'corrections') that are at best from silly to pointless, and at worst wrong; I've never known such a checker that wasn't more trouble than it was worth. But it's up to you.

b

rmsh16 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

do we not get this software a free of cost??
    can we download from internet??

enydia is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    As someone once told me when I'd caused lots of extra work by trying to save time, 'If you haven't got time to do it right, you have to find time to put it right.'
    Excuse me, how to understand exactly the meaning of this sentence? What's the difference between do and put ?

In my experience of this sort of software, grammar-checkers make suggestions (and sometimes even 'corrections') that are at best from silly to pointless, and at worst wrong; I've never known such a checker that wasn't more trouble than it was worth. But it's up to you.

b
    thanks

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmsh16 View Post
    do we not get this software a free of cost??
    can we download from internet??
    There are plenty of free programs out there, but most are dreadful (if they work). Nothing in human existence is more complex than language so ask yourself how likely it is that a couple of people coding some shareware will have managed to create algorithms that manage to encapsulate this complexity. The Microsoft Grammar Check in Word has never managed to make any true headway with this, and that is with their wealth and resources. Freeware and Shareware are very unlikely to be the places to look. Just like Speech-to-Text programs, the complexity of the task is such that professional software will be flavoured.

Also, if there were a program out there that really could proofread and correct language to a very high standard, it would be as well-known as programs like Word. In fact, it would probably be bought by them for billions and integrated into their Office suite.

rmsh16 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post

Also, if there were a program out there that really could proofread and correct language to a very high standard, it would be as well-known as programs like Word. In fact, it would probably be bought by them for billions and integrated into their Office suite.

Dear Mr. Tdol,

Thank you for the valuable comments..... btw, can you suggest the site where in i can download from internet for free of cost. i just want to
    experience and to know its merits & demerits. please provide me the link.

thanks......
    rasna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast