• Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please, would you proofread my text

Dear people
    Here are some of my thoughts about the everyday life and some modern phenomena. Please tell me if I have made any mistakes.

There is one thing that really makes me angry and that is the British media and their obsession with the celebrity culture. I know, this situation is not only characteristic for the UK but for the majority of the countries in the West, but in the UK it has reached such a level that it can be called a mass psychosis.

I understand that tabloids need such news for their profits and survival but when the serious papers like The Times, The Daily Telegraph and the others take a great interest in the intimate details of the artists, singers and writers one can only asks oneself what has happened with the real journalism. Take for example BBC Radio 4, which is a well known for its intellectuals discussions. However, when for example an actor X. is cough by the police while driving drunk this is one of the biggest news on the BBC radio despite of all killing and suffering on the Earth. After that news usually follows discussions with a police inspector who describes what actually happened, and then a psychologist who will describe the state of mind of the actor X. and the third person can be a doctor who will tell the audience about medical aspects and teach them how actor's body reacted during the ride.

When D. Beckham gets a new tattoo it is also a big news that will be presented as if this detail will have an enormous impact on the lives of the ordinary people. You will almost never read or hear about a plumber who has been working for twenty or more years without being a day sick or other hard working persons like nurses, cleaners and drivers who have dedicated all their lives to the community and still remain anonymous.

The danger with the celebrity culture is that young people are going to be affected by it the rest of their lives. They read the news about celebrities, their money and success and they will get a wrong picture of reality. They will start dreaming of being one of them. They will not be interested in ordinary jobs and boring life; they want much more. But for many of them that dream will never come true and they will feel dissatisfied and empty. Unfortunately, the majority of them will never know there is another side of a splendid life they see on TV. Many of celebrities live under enormous pressure, carrying a mask and trying to hide their problems for the media. Many of them take antidepressants and other medicine to keep themselves alive and some even commit suicide.

Sometimes I think with the nostalgia of my homeland under the Communists government. At least our celebrities lived like ordinary people in a block of flats or in a small house with a little garden and drove the same cars like their neighbours. They walked he streets freely without big body guards or a trail of paparazzi behind them. And the most important is their art and music did not suffer because of their contacts with ordinary people, rather this everyday contact with their public make them more humble and give them more inspiration in their work.

The majority of the celebrities nowadays live in their own world, away from the problems of ordinary people and society, probably more thinking of money and material things then spiritual richness. And on those rare occasions when they help the poor and those in need they use it often for their own promotion. It is very popular to support charity.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please, would you proofread my text

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Dear people
    Here are some of my thoughts about the everyday life and some modern phenomena. Please tell me if I have made any mistakes.

There is one thing that really makes me angry and that is the British media and their obsession with the celebrity culture. I know, this situation is not only characteristic for the UK but for the majority of the countries in the West, but in the UK it has reached such a level that it can be called a mass psychosis.

I understand that tabloids need such news for their profits and survival but when the serious papers such as The Times or the Daily Telegraph take a great interest in the intimate details of the artists, singers and writers one can only asks oneself what has happened to real journalism. Take for example BBC Radio 4, which is well-known for its intellectual discussions. However, when for example [omit]an actor, X., is caught by the police while driving drunk, this is one of the biggest news stories on radio despite of all killing and suffering on Earth. After the report there usually follows discussions with a police inspector who describes what actually happened, and then a psychologist who will describe the state of mind of the actor X., and the third person (who might be a doctor) who will tell the audience about medical aspects and teach them how actor's body reacted during the ride.

When David Beckham gets a new tattoo, it is also a big news that will be presented as if this detail will have an enormous impact on the lives of the ordinary people. You will almost never read or hear about a plumber who has been working for twenty or more years without being off for one day or other hard working persons like nurses, cleaners and drivers who have dedicated all their lives to the community.

The danger with the celebrity culture is that young people are going to be affected by it for the rest of their lives. They read the news about celebrities, their money and success, and they will get a false picture of reality. They will start dreaming of being one of them. They will not be interested in ordinary jobs and a boring life [Who wants a boring life!]; they want much more. But for many of them that dream will never come true and they will feel dissatisfied and empty. Unfortunately, the majority of them will never know there is another side to the splendid life they see on TV. Many celebrities live under enormous pressure, wearing a mask and trying to hide their problems for the media. Many of them take antidepressants and other medicines to keep themselves alive and some even commit suicide.

Sometimes I think with nostalgia of my homeland under the Communist government. At least our celebrities lived like ordinary people in a block of flats or in a small house with a little garden and drove the same cars like their neighbours. They walked the streets freely without big bodyguards, or a trail of paparazzi behind them. And most important, their art and music did not suffer because of their contacts with ordinary people. Rather, this everyday contact with their public make them more humble and gave them more inspiration in their work.

The majority of the celebrities nowadays live in their own world, away from the problems of ordinary people and society, probably more thinking of money and material things than spiritual richness. And on those rare occasions when they help the poor and those in need, they use it often for their own promotion. It is very popular to support charity.
    I think you may be a little too hard on the unfortunate "celebrities", most of whom would certainly prefer a quiet life and not to live with paparazzi on their tails

Bassim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Anglika

Thank you very much for the proofreading of my text.
    You are a real treasure!

As for the celebrities, I have nothing against them, but the media which make so much fuss about such a trivial matter. Think if they could dedicate all that energy to more important issues like homelessness, education, bad living conditions and the others.
    But probably they are only interested in profit.

Post Thanks / Like

True enough - that is what they are there to do for their owners.

The trouble is that people like to read about scandal and gossip, and many are not prepared to read about things that make them feel uncomfortable.

Bassim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Anglika

I have never been to the UK but I watch BBC and SKY and read the papers and what surprises me is the fact that the difference between those who have and have not is so huge. I have heard that at BBC for example there are people who earn 600 times more then the others! Do you think it is all right?

Personally, I would feel shame passing by someone who works in the same company and earns 600 times less then I.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the place to discuss ethics, but I do have a problem with the thought of politicians expecting a 6 figure basic salary plus a gold-plated pension.