• French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "It killed me"

Excerpt from the "Catcher in the rye":

He used to be just a regular writer, when he was home. He wrote this terrific book of short stories, The Secret Goldfish, in case you never heard of him. The best one in it was "The Secret Goldfish." It was about this little kid that wouldn't let anybody look at his goldfish because he'd bought it with his own money. It killed me.

I'm struggling with a clear explanation to provide my students about "it killed me". I can understand the meaning from the context, but I find it hard to provide a clear definition.

The way I see it, it means that the main character really liked the book so much. But that's not the exact meaning I'm looking for.

Any help?

RedMtl is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: "It killed me"

Quote Originally Posted by Noego View Post
    Excerpt from the "Catcher in the rye":

He used to be just a regular writer, when he was home. He wrote this terrific book of short stories, The Secret Goldfish, in case you never heard of him. The best one in it was "The Secret Goldfish." It was about this little kid that wouldn't let anybody look at his goldfish because he'd bought it with his own money. It killed me.

I'm struggling with a clear explanation to provide my students about "it killed me". I can understand the meaning from the context, but I find it hard to provide a clear definition.

The way I see it, it means that the main character really liked the book so much. But that's not the exact meaning I'm looking for.

Any help?
    It's a long time since I read Catcher in the Rye! However, in this context, and from what I remember, I think what you are looking for is that the short story referred to made a very strong impression upon the reader.

Other possible interpretations could include that the story was funny, so it "killed" the reader with laughter; or, that the story brought to mind painful thoughts, which "killed" in an emotional sense. I'd go along with that latter, considering the personality of the main character of Catcher in the Rye.

I think the idea you are looking for is the first one -- the making of a strong impression; but all could be explored. Note, also, that is is the short story in the book, and not the book itself (same title), which provoked this reaction.

Hope this provides a starting point.

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "It killed me"

The 'Catcher in the Rye' was written using the slang of its time and this expression indicates the speakers approval of the story by saying how deeply it affected him emotionally.

RedMtl is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "It killed me"

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    The 'Catcher in the Rye' was written using the slang of its time and this expression indicates the speakers approval of the story by saying how deeply it affected him emotionally.
    A good response, and one not entirely unrelated to my first comment about making a strong impression.

Well put, and helpful.