• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 157,779
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hello there!
Thanks for your quick response to my last posting!

I've got another question related to the prepostion.

* I haven't heard from you in a long time. *

Is the sentence correct?
As I know, "for a long time" should be the correct phrase.
I mean... [I have seen the movie in a long time.] sounds alright but the sentence above doesn't.

Do the two phrases --in a long time / for a long time -- have same meaning and no difference??

Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They do and both are used, though 'in' is more colloquial.;-)

Pollo

Member Type
Other
Yes, they are the same, except in some very special phrases. For example, one can say "I have been sitting here waiting for a long time" but it would be incorrect to say "I have been sitting here waiting in a long time."
Hope that helps.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, they are the same, except in some very special phrases. For example, one can say "I have been sitting here waiting for a long time" but it would be incorrect to say "I have been sitting here waiting in a long time."
Hope that helps.

That's a good point. Perhaps it's the negative that makes the 'in' version possible: 'I haven't had a cigarette in ages' :tick: (though not entirely laudable ;-)). And perhaps the thing not done needs to be desirable... :?: 'I haven't had a parking ticket in ages.' :?: (That last one would only sound right to me if said sarcastically, as if a parking ticket was desirable.)

b

frederickrockett

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there. One of my Chinese students was wondering about the difference between "in a long time" and "for a long time." I disagree that "in a long time" relates to something one likes. For example, you could say, "We haven't cleaned the latrines in a long time," right? I do think, however, that this form may be used for negative statements. "For a long time" seems more all purpose. What you all think?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What's wrong with cleaning latrines? :D

Status