Post Thanks / Like

Default Bear Mountain Compact =?

The fact that Paterson had a history of fooling around was not exactly a shocker. Albany is a place that specializes in illicit sex. The fabled Bear Mountain Compact is the old New York City legislators’ rule that anything that happens after you cross the Bear Mountain Bridge on your way upstate doesn’t count. Many other American statehouses have the same atmosphere of sexual misbehavior and overall ethical sloppiness, although New York does deserve credit for giving it a cute name.

Bear Mountain Compact =? = a New York politician can be safe if s/he crosses the Bear Mountain Bridge after a scandal?

2. Does the Bear Mountain Bridge really exist in New York?

3. for giving it a cute name? What is " it" referred to?

4. upstate=? to north?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bear Mountain Compact =?

1. The Bear Mountain Compact says whatever a New York politician does after he crosses the Bear Mountain Bridge doesn't matter.

2. The Bridge does exist in New York

3. "It" is the Bear Mountain Compact

4. Upstate = Towards the North of the state.

Post Thanks / Like

Niall, thank you for your help.

A little curious about how the Bear Mountain Compact came from. If anyone know, please tell me. Thanks.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, indeed, not only does the Bear Mountain Bridge exist, but Bear Mountain exists. I grew up near there. At Christmas time, there was a wonderful gingerbread house exhibit at Bear Mountain. I wonder if it still goes on?

Anyway, Albany, the capital of New York, is considered "upstate" for anyone from New York City. It's about 2 hours away. Bear Mountain and the corresponding bridge aren't really that close to Albany, but before the days of the big highways, it would have been a logical place to cross the Hudson River on the way up to the capital.

I have never heard this phrase before, but there is an expression "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." It's a bit distasteful, meaning "So you cheat on your spouse while you're here - no one will ever talk about it." It's the same idea. You're not "home" when you cheat, so it doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    but there is an expression "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." It's a bit distasteful, meaning "So you cheat on your spouse while you're here - no one will ever talk about it." It's the same idea. You're not "home" when you cheat, so it doesn't matter.
    I am innocent of American geography. Thanks for your introduction, Barb_D. I have took a view of the picture about the bridge via Google.

Well, It is interesting to learn another American slang. I copied it down in my English-learning notebook. Yet, have better be careful because the Argus of media would be interested in such a scoop on politicians or celebs and the skeleton might jump out from the cheaters' closets any time.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rainbow, I hope it was clear that it's not a belief that I have, nor one one that many people have.

If you saw the bridge on Google Earth, you were about 20 miles from where I grew up. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Rainbow, I hope it was clear that it's not a belief that I have, nor one one that many people have.
    Hello Barb_D, don't worry. We believe it is not your belief. We are talking about language per se. Have a good day.