Thread: comprehension

Post Thanks / Like

Default comprehension

1. The government seemed to be presiding over large-scale unemployment.

"preside" usually means "be in charge of...". But what about "preside over unemployment"? Be responsible for that?

2. As well, we need more discussion about where and by whom the line should be drawn between permissible aggressive interrogation techniques, and when interrogation becomes torture and whether torture is ever justified.

There are two "and" coming after "between", and I don't know which one goes with the "between". Where are the line being drawn?

Thanks. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    1. The government seemed to be presiding over large-scale unemployment. "preside" usually means "be in charge of...". But what about "preside over unemployment"? Be responsible for that?
    It means, exercise control or authority over; a variation on oversee.

2. As well, we need more discussion about where and by whom the line should be drawn between permissible aggressive interrogation techniques, and when interrogation becomes torture and whether torture is ever justified.

There are two "and" coming after "between", and I don't know which one goes with the "between". Where are the lines being drawn?
    Hmm. I see what you mean. :? What about?

...between (a) permissible interrogation techniques and (b) when those permissible techniques result in torture and, moreover, while discussing where and by whom the lines should be drawn, we should also address the question as to whether torture is ever justified.

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    1. The government seemed to be presiding over large-scale unemployment. "preside" usually means "be in charge of...". But what about "preside over unemployment"? Be responsible for that?
    It means, exercise control or authority over; a variation on oversee.,
    Cas, does it suggest that the government is taking some action to control the unemployment?

There are two "and" coming after "between", and I don't know which one goes with the "between". Where are the lines being drawn?
    Hmm. I see what you mean. :? What about?

...between (a) permissible interrogation techniques and (b) when those permissible techniques result in torture and, moreover, while discussing where and by whom the lines should be drawn, we should also address the question as to whether torture is ever justified.

All the best,
    Understood. I'm glad you know what I was asking, though I am not sure of the way I asked the question:

Is it a clear question? If not, how to ask this question properly? (Was "go with" correctly used here?) :)

Post Thanks / Like

It means, exercise control or authority over; a variation on oversee.,
    Cas, does it suggest that the government is taking some action to control the unemployment?
    Well, good question. To me it sounds like they're overseeing it. They're chairing the committee; note that, preside and president share similar meanings. preside, by the way, comes from Latin "to sit before". That's the best I can do without further context. Sorry.

I am not sure of the way I asked the question:

Is it a clear question? If not, how to ask this question properly? (Was "go with" correctly used here?) :)
    What about?

There are two and's after 'between', so I don't know which and goes with 'between'. That is, where are 'the lines' being drawn?

OR

'....between..., and...and....'. (Which 'and' goes with 'between'?)

There are a lot of ways to reword/rephrase it, but I like the structure you chose. It's simple, to the point, and clear. Did I forget to menton that?

All the best, 8)