fate vs. destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could someone try to explain the difference between the words "fate" and "destiny", please?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Attention: I’m not a teacher.

Hi Lenka,

There are some definitions and a brief excerpt of an link concerning the matter in question.

destiny = the inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is destined; one's lot.
To settle somebody ‘s destiny.

fate = unfavorable destiny; doom.
stroke of fate
decide a person’s fate eg. Whether he shall be killed or allowed to live
meet one’s fate be killed, die
to accept one’s fate

Although the words are used interchangeably in many cases, fate and destiny can be distinguished. Modern usage defines fate as a power or agency that predetermines and orders the course of events. Fate defines events as ordered or "meant to be". Fate is used in regard to the finality of events as they have worked themselves out, and that same finality is projected into the future to become the inevitability of events as they will work themselves out.

One word derivative of "fate" is "fatality" another "fatalism". Fate implies no choice, and ends with a death. Fate is an outcome determined by an outside agency acting upon a person or entity; but with destiny the entity is participating in achieving an outcome that is directly related to itself. Participation happens wilfully.

Used in the past tense, "destiny" and "fate" are both more interchangeable, both imply "one's lot" or fortunes, and includes the sum of events leading up to a currently achieved outcome (e.g. "it was her destiny to be leader" and "it was her fate to be leader").

destiny: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com

Regards.

V.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
destiny = the inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is destined; one's lot.
To settle somebody ‘s destiny.

fate = unfavorable destiny; doom.
stroke of fate
decide a person’s fate eg. Whether he shall be killed or allowed to live
meet one’s fate be killed, die
to accept one’s fate

Although the words are used interchangeably in many cases, fate and destiny can be distinguished. Modern usage defines fate as a power or agency that predetermines and orders the course of events. Fate defines events as ordered or "meant to be". Fate is used in regard to the finality of events as they have worked themselves out, and that same finality is projected into the future to become the inevitability of events as they will work themselves out.

One word derivative of "fate" is "fatality" another "fatalism". Fate implies no choice, and ends with a death. Fate is an outcome determined by an outside agency acting upon a person or entity; but with destiny the entity is participating in achieving an outcome that is directly related to itself. Participation happens wilfully.

Used in the past tense, "destiny" and "fate" are both more interchangeable, both imply "one's lot" or fortunes, and includes the sum of events leading up to a currently achieved outcome (e.g. "it was her destiny to be leader" and "it was her fate to be leader").

destiny: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com
Excellent post!:up:

Generally speaking:
Destiny has positive connotations. (Example: "It was a team of destiny.") Fate has negative connotations. (Example: "It was his fate to burdened with his family's problems.")​
~R

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Destiny is distinctly different from Fate. Destiny is unchangeable but fate can be changed by sheer determination and will power of man. Destiny is predetermined course of events in one’s life span such as death, marriage, birth of a child etc which are considered as something beyond human power or control. But man can by his own did and action change his fate or in other words build a nice future (Which is fate). A true story here will make things clear.
This about a famous prediction made by Mr Cheiro the renowned palmistry, in America, in 1936. When he was in California, the press reporters showed him two hand prints of a person and wanted him to predict about the man. Cheiro predicted about the man, who he later came to know as one Dr. Mayor who was an Insurance agent and arrested a few days ago for poisoning his clients to grab the insured money. Mr. Cheiro predicted about all his actions and said that this man when he attained the age of forty will be caught, sentenced to death but he will not die. The trial proceeded as usual and he was found guilty and sentenced to death by the lower courts which was finally upheld by the apex court.
7 days before his execution, Dr Mayor was asked his last wish and he wanted to see Mr. Cheiro before his death. So Mr. Cheiro was called from Italy and taken to Dr Mayor. Mr Cheiro had vividly mentioned about this meeting in his autobiography. This what he had written. “ As soon as the broken man saw me in his prison cell he stretched out both his hands at me and said Mr. Cheiro I had read your predictions given to the press long ago. What ever you have said were all correct but still I can’t believe your last sentence, since after two days I am going to be executed. I saw both his hands again and found no sign of an imminent death. So my automatic utterance was; perhaps some miracle will happen.”
Mr. Cheiro decided to stay in America to watch the happenings as he was also curious to see if that man is destined not to die after two days. On the night of execution he could not sleep in his hotel room till the morning hours when the hawkers shouted – Dr. Mayor escapes chair. The chair did not work and the judge present, immediately converted the sentence to life imprisonment and Dr Mayor there after lead a happy life up to 70 years.
So here is a man who was fated to die for his own actions and deeds but his destiny was otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.