• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh

Dear teachers,

I know the content of the Bible’s Proverb 26:28, but couldn’t get down to brass tacks (couldn’t come to the root of the matter).

“A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.”

There are further versions of this proverb:

“A lying tongue hateth those whom it hath wounded; And a flattering mouth worketh ruin.”
    “A false tongue has hate for those who have clean hearts, and a smooth mouth is a cause of falling.”
    “A deceitful tongue loveth not truth: and a slippery mouth worketh ruin.”
    “A man who flatters his neighbor is spreading a net for his steps.”

One could assume that the intent of this verse could be paraphrased, "Only a person who hates another would deliberately wound or hurt someone by lies." However, this verse really suggests, upon closer reading, that the very act of saying something negative about another will automatically reinforcethis belief.

I thought, I have a good knowledge of the basic English language, but it is most likely that I have overestimated my possibilities.

Would you be kind enough to explain me the meaning of the verse in question with lucid English words?

Regards.

V
    Last edited by vil; 24-Mar-2008 at 16:17.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth work

A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it: Someone who lies hates those about whom the lie is told.

and a flattering mouth worketh ruin: and those who praise someone in order to make them feel important, in a way that is not sincere, can cause disastrous damage to that person.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth work

Perfect, Ang!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anglika,

I am green with envy for your wealth of a language. Thank you for your standing commitee (attendance) at the present forum.

Regards.

V.