Thread: Tesol, Tesl

Unregistered Guest

Tesol, Tesl

Good Day,
    I am trying to determine which course to take, to be able to teach English abroad. I live in Ontario, Canada and so far the search resulted in more confusion. There are too many institutions to mention, that offer too many different types of courses. The differences are in cost, lenght, curriculum... How do I know which is appropriate for me, which ones are appoved by foreign educational institutions, which ones will allow me to get a job? Thank you for any input.
    Elizabeth

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tesol, Tesl

The two most readily accepted are Cambridge University's CELTA and Trinity College's CertTESOL. There are numerous other courses available which may be acceptable but make sure they contain teaching practice - this lets out most net-based courses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    The two most readily accepted are Cambridge University's CELTA and Trinity College's CertTESOL. There are numerous other courses available which may be acceptable but make sure they contain teaching practice - this lets out most net-based courses.

Hi,
    Would u plz help me to know whether getting such degrees are accepted more or having M.A. in English Literature?

Post Thanks / Like

These are not degrees these are intensive one month courses if taken full-time. Maybe I misunderstood what you are looking for. Where and what do you want to teach?

An MA Lit is not going to help you teach EFL. However, if you want to teach literature in a private 'English' school (as opposed to an 'English language' school) somewhere then you will probably need a longer teacher training course of some kind which will qualify you to teach in state schools. As I am not Canadian I don't know what is available there.

I work in Russia teaching EFL and Business English and have done so for some years. I work for a private language school and if that is your aim then best would be either of the qualifications I mentioned before. If you choose to do a different one, it must contain observed teaching practice and should not be an online course as these are poorly regarded in general. Some companies offer the opportunity to study for the CELTA or Trinity TESOL in other countries and offer jobs to successful candidates. If this is so in the country you wish to work in, it might solve your problem. The bigger schools have web sites for example you could search for International House ,Language Link, English First to name but a few.

If you want more advice about teaching EFL feel free to contact me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Thank u for ur kind and helpful reply.
    But , maybe I couldn't convey what I meant.
    I wanna know if I were to work in a non-native country as a teacher,which would be more useful ,M.A.degree in English literature or celta?

Post Thanks / Like

I understood that but what do you want to teach? English as a Foreign Language or English literature. If EFL, then you need a CELTA.
    Last edited by Horsa; 17-Apr-2008 at 18:37. Reason: missed an n