Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    structure of the sentence

    Could you please explain to me the structure of the sentence below, particulary I am interested in "...were it not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe" part. Thank you in advance.

    A popular figure such as Michael Jackson would never be so well known were it not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: structure of the sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    Could you please explain to me the structure of the sentence below, particulary I am interested in "...were it not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe" part. Thank you in advance.

    A popular figure such as Michael Jackson would never be so well known were it not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe.
    A popular figure such as Michael Jackson would never be so well known if it was (were it) not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe.
    (Not a teacher)


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: structure of the sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    A popular figure such as Michael Jackson would never be so well known if it was (were it) not for the media's extensive reach into every society on the globe.
    (Not a teacher)
    I also transformed the sentense like that, but in this case as well I am not sure that I completely understand the meaning.

    I would say that it means : ...if the media didn't have so extensive reach into every society on the globe.

    But structure like "it was (were it) not FOR the media's..." seems to me a little bit strange

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: structure of the sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    I also transformed the sentense like that, but in this case as well I am not sure that I completely understand the meaning.

    I would say that it means : ...if the media didn't have so extensive reach into every society on the globe.

    But structure like "it was (were it) not FOR the media's..." seems to me a little bit strange
    Were it not... = If it was not...
    Longman's
    "if it wasn't/weren't for somebody/something
    also if it hadn't been for somebody/something
    used to say who or what prevents or prevented something from happening.
    For example, If it hadn't been for you, I should have drowned."


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: structure of the sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Were it not... = If it was not...
    Longman's
    "if it wasn't/weren't for somebody/something
    also if it hadn't been for somebody/something
    used to say who or what prevents or prevented something from happening.
    For example, If it hadn't been for you, I should have drowned."
    In which Longman's textbook did you find it? (it is for future references)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: structure of the sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    In which Longman's textbook did you find it? (it is for future references)
    Longman's Dictionary of Contemporary English.

Similar Threads

  1. Source and Sentence Structure??
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2007, 06:40
  2. sentence structure
    By svartnik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2007, 20:58
  3. sentence structure?
    By jhonsmith1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2007, 10:07
  4. Sentence type, grammatical structure
    By tangroberta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2007, 10:14
  5. Asking about the sentence structure
    By Mag in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2006, 22:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •