Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The quick and the dead

    I've found the expression in my dictionary.

    And I want to ask: does this really mean "people that are alive and people that are already dead"???

    Obviously, etymology refers to classification of pedestrians...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanja
    I've found the expression in my dictionary.

    And I want to ask: does this really mean "people that are alive and people that are already dead"???

    Obviously, etymology refers to classification of pedestrians...
    Try HERE. 8)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    :D Yeah, that's pretty good. I think I' ll read it afterwards with great pleasure.
    But now I still wonder, why can not we use "the alive and the dead" instead of "the quick and the dead"? Would it be a mistake to use such an expression?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanja
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    :D Yeah, that's pretty good. I think I' ll read it afterwards with great pleasure.
    But now I still wonder, why can not we use "the alive and the dead" instead of "the quick and the dead"? Would it be a mistake to use such an expression?
    quick - Old English, cwic "living, alive" SOURCE
    quicken - to come or return to life
    the quick and the dead - those who have died and come back to life

    All the best, :D

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    quick - Old English, cwic "living, alive" SOURCE
    quicken - to come or return to life
    the quick and the dead - those who have died and come back to life

    All the best, :D
    "those who have died and come back to life" => the quick Right?

    Can the word "quick" mean those people who are just alive, who have never died(like you and I)?

    And generally speaking, is this expression an idiom?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •