Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile On line English teaching

I'm from the Philippines, 21 yrs. old and just graduated college last year with the course of BS Industrial Psychology. Our country is a non English speaking country but we do have mandatory rules about learning English. As a matter of fact, we use English language in schools although our mother tongue is Filipino. We start learning English when we're in kindergarten, preparatory and then grade school/elementary, until high school and college. So, obviosly we learn English since we're 5 or 6 yrs. old until the end of time. It is also said so that we Filipinos are very flexible (or I may say "far better"?) when it comes to speaking English other than southeast Asian nations. Is it really true? Presently, we cater to a vast number of "call center" companies here. We talk to native Americans through phone and even Canadians, Australians and British. (reg. customer inquiries, sales, etc.) As of now, I'm working as an on line English teacher in one of the companies here. I can say that it's very in demand. In my company, we teach English to Koreans. I heard that others teach Chinese and European students. We use American English because it is easier to understand. We teach them grammar, pronunciation, all about English. We measure their English speaking abilities, comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, etc.). I want to ask for some advice for me to become a better teacher. Of course I'm not that good but I'm trying hard to be an effective teacher. Can anyone give me helpful tips on how could I teach them well in a really simple method? How can I improve myself regarding the same areas I mentioned? (esp. accent and teaching style) I hope to hear from you guys, anything you say will surely be of value to me. Please do correct my grammar here if you guys don't mind for an additional work. ASAP....Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: On line English teaching

Can you give me an example of something that is easier to say in American English than British English please?

Post Thanks / Like

I mean about the accent..some English accents may be that the 'T's are not pronounced and that the u in stupid and duty is pronounced with the y sound, not oo as in an American accent; thus it is pronounced styupid, not stoopid, etc.

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    I mean about the accent..some English accents may be that the 'T's are not pronounced and that the u in stupid and duty is pronounced with the y sound, not oo as in an American accent; thus it is pronounced styupid, not stoopid, etc.
    I agree with you. People hear the English language from a lot of American films and if they are learning the language, coupled with watching US films, they find the American accent easier. What's more, rhotic American English (but not Scotish) is esier to understand at the beginning stage. And finally, Present Perfect tense is hardly heard in informal American English. Now I expect some to disagree with me though

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Banderas,

I'm kind of curious about the difference between American English and Polish English. Can you give me some helpful advice regarding teaching skills and the like? Thanks.

NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It is also said so that we Filipinos are very flexible (or I may say "far better"?) when it comes to speaking English other than southeast Asian nations.
    In my experience, that seems to be true, and I have been wondering why.

I have met Filipinos from different walks of life who spoke English as well as, sometime even better than, Chinese who learned English for good many years and some majored in English in College and still find themselves stop, think before then speak it. But for Filipinos it seems they do't have that same delima of 2-second-delay to deal with and speak it naturaly. I am talking about all filipinos I have met no matter what background they are from.

So I'm really curious as to why that is, can Ayo shed some light on that?

Many thanks
    NT

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Banderas,

I'm kind of curious about the difference between American English and Polish English. Can you give me some helpful advice regarding teaching skills and the like? Thanks.
    I am afraid, Ayo, there is no Polish English as far as I know.At least officially.

Please tell me what kinds of problems do you come across (or what is particularly chalanging) when you teach students
    and I try to give you some advice. ok?
    Regards
    Banderas

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I see..As far as I know it's because we Filipinos were under American government for over 50 years. From that time then, we're really forced to learn and speak English. I tell you, most Filipinos have better knowledge about English rather than our own language when it comes to grammar rules, phonetics, etc. All Philippine schools including of course Universities use English as the major language in teaching. In regular school for example, mormally, we have 9 subjects in a day that's around 6-7 hours of class a day. The subjects are Filipino, English, Math, Social Studies (History), Home Economics includes Computer lessons, Physical Education-Music-Arts, Science and Values Education. It had been revised for about a couple of years now to adapt and adjust to the recent demands and changes in educational system. Students and teachers use English to all those subjects except Filipino. Schools/Universities even give "fines" or "penalty" if you're heard or caught speaking Filipino inside class and school premises. Even the utility workers like janitors, vendors in cafeteria and school guards have ro speak English too. In most Filipino houses, we use English in simple conversation but sometimes we make use of "Taglish" which is a combination of Tagalog and English like "Where were you kahapon?"- Where were you yesterday? So that's no wonder!!! What do you think? How about in your country (Taiwan)?

NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation, Ayo. So there's that influence under the American government for 50 years, was it then called a colony? Pardon my ignorance, but you'll find out there's a lot that I don't know.

In Taiwan, English is a mandatory subject at school starting 1st grade which was up from Junior high (7th grade) about 6-7 years ago seeing that English is more than ever becoming an international language. The consesus is that if you want to compete with the world you have to be able to speak English (this should give the native speakers a boost to their ego), but heck English is hard to learn for us (Taiwanese, not speaking for all Chinese). From pronounciations to grammar, there's no "l" sound in our native tongue except when it comes at the beginning of a word. It's herrendous when you try to pronounce a word like "rule" or "cruel" for the first time, you either don't say it whole or you overdo it. And grammar or sentence structure are a major pain in your neck, you have to relearn things you used to know to be as true as the sun always rise in the East now are not so true. The flipping words around, reversing the positions of them to make an inquiring sentence (pronouns come at the end of a sentence, what's with that?) or you have words that they don't have any meanings if stand alone, but named with fabulous catagories: preposition, modal, etc........these are all to overwhelming for us. But we Chinese perservere, nobody killed themselves over it as far as I know.

Anyway, I like English I'm getting better with it especially with the help of the site, it's been most benificial to me. And I'm sure you'll find it helpful to you too. You'll find the most intelligent poeple here who are generous of their knowledge and will answer you questions if you ask in earnest. In case, I just keep buggin them. Welcome!

NT

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Ayo;273967] Schools/Universities even give "fines" or "penalty" if you're heard or caught speaking Filipino inside class and school premises.
    Why is that?

In most Filipino houses, we use English in simple conversation but sometimes we make use of "Taglish" which is a combination of Tagalog and English like "Where were you kahapon?"- Where were you yesterday?Why do you have your private conversations in English too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast