Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: On line English teaching

[quote=Ayo;273967] Schools/Universities even give "fines" or "penalty" if you're heard or caught speaking Filipino inside class and school premises.
    Why is that?

In most Filipino houses, we use English in simple conversation but sometimes we make use of "Taglish" which is a combination of Tagalog and English like "Where were you kahapon?"- Where were you yesterday?Why do you have your private conversations in English too?

1. Because students, teachers and (utility & safety officers in schools) are encourage to speak English well even in simple conversations. Due to the fact that English is the global language and if we want to adapt to the radical changes, development & advancement (technologies, business, education, health & medicine, etc. ), we must of course have enough knowledge and understanding about all those things and we can just do it if we speak the global tongue (one factor). Communication is very important. Moreso, interacting with various people with different cultures, traditions & beliefs. We can be unified with ONE LANGUAGE. That's the fact I guess...

2. To further enhance our English speaking abilities. Just like the saying "Practice makes perfect", we may say that in school the students learn and speak English but it's not enough for them to be a better speaker if back in their home they still speak Filipino. I'm not saying that we no longer use Filipino here, it's just that we have this mindset that the frequent we speak English the better, may it be in our houses, school, department stores, hospitals, gov. offices, public and private companies. However, those families who belong to the 3rd class (poor & very poor) don't speak English at home that's because they lack formal education but not the majority of them. Those 2nd class (middle or average) and 1st class (upper, rich or richest) most often than not, speak English od Taglish at home. We don't feel like being really under the English language in almost everyday lives, English doesn't dictate us on how we are going to live our lives us Filipinos, act as Filipinos, eat, talk, dress up, work, or laugh as Filipinos. What we are doing is just trying to go with the flow but with our own "will, strength, and competitive skills" for we'll not allow "again" anyone, any nation to overpower "us" anymore. Thus for us, LEARNING TO COMMUNICATE WELL IS POWER...

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation, Ayo. So there's that influence under the American government for 50 years, was it then called a colony? Pardon my ignorance, but you'll find out there's a lot that I don't know. - Yup, we're colonized by the Americans. It's okay, I too, still have a lot to know.

From pronounciations to grammar, there's no "l" sound in our native tongue except when it comes at the beginning of a word. It's herrendous when you try to pronounce a word like "rule" or "cruel" for the first time, you either don't say it whole or you overdo it. And grammar or sentence structure are a major pain in your neck, you have to relearn things you used to know to be as true as the sun always rise in the East now are not so true. The flipping words around, reversing the positions of them to make an inquiring sentence (pronouns come at the end of a sentence, what's with that?) or you have words that they don't have any meanings if stand alone, but named with fabulous catagories: preposition, modal, etc........these are all to overwhelming for us. But we Chinese perservere, nobody killed themselves over it as far as I know.- Can you explain to me further, I didn't get it. Sorry..thanks...

Anyway, I like English I'm getting better with it especially with the help of the site, it's been most benificial to me. And I'm sure you'll find it helpful to you too. You'll find the most intelligent poeple here who are generous of their knowledge and will answer you questions if you ask in earnest. In case, I just keep buggin them. Welcome!- Yes, I agree with you..

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Ayo,

You asked:
    "Can you explain to me further, I didn't get it. Sorry..thanks..."

Did you mean this part?:
    "But we Chinese perservere, nobody killed themselves over it as far as I know."

If so, I was just joking. It was just to show how grueling and streneous it is for us to learn English that we could kill ourselves over it........rhetorically speaking. No fatality, not even close, really.

NT

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi, NearThere!

It's been a long time. Seems like you have a good conversation over a wonderful topic.

Hi, Ayo!
    Kababayan! What's up? I've checked your profile and saw we've got something in common.

I deem the topic to be very interesting and thought of joining the team. That is, if you guys don't mind at all. I've got to comment something about one of Ayo's posts, though I agree to most, if not all, of them I'd just like to add something. Could I?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Blouen,

I'd like to hear it. Though I can't speak for anyone, I highly doubt Ayo would have a problem with it, right? Anyone is free to post in anyone's thread, right?! I do that all the time. Good to hear from you.

NT

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Blouen,

Yah right, we're both Filipinos!! Mabuhay!!!

I love to hear that, no problem anyone is welcome to post in anybody's thread I guess provided it's cool and helplful..whta I mean is you know it all follow the rules here. Anyway, where are you in the Phil.? Can you tell me something about yourself? How long have you been in this wonderful site? It's really good to know someone from Phil.

I tell you NT and Banderas are really nice guys!!!

• Post Thanks / Like

NT,

No, I mean the whole paragraph..pls..thanks..

You used a lot of words in there..can you just make it simple?.if you don't mind? I just really want to know what you're trying to say.

Take care.

• Post Thanks / Like

I've got to comment something about one of Ayo's posts, though I agree to most, if not all, of them I'd just like to add something. Could I?- What is it that you want to add?

You're from Manila too, ryt? I saw it from your profile. I'm from Mandaluyong. I work here in Ortigas center, Tektite Bldg. (Phil. Stock Exchange).

Much care.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    NT,

No, I mean the whole paragraph..pls..thanks..

You used a lot of words in there..can you just make it simple?.if you don't mind? I just really want to know what you're trying to say.

Take care.

I laughed. I can be talkative sometimes, this is one of those "she says a whole lot but says little at the same time" moment. All I wanted to say is that it's simply hard for us to learn English just the same with other Asian countries like Korea or Japan. Unlike India, Singapore or Phillipines and so forth, we don't have that advantage of having gone thru a language transformation under the ruling of English-speaking govenment like US, or Britain.

Oh, by the way, I am female too. I have a sense that some think that I am a guy. I don't know why that is.

NT

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: On line English teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    Hi Blouen,

Yah right, we're both Filipinos!! Mabuhay!!!

I love to hear that, no problem anyone is welcome to post in anybody's thread I guess provided it's cool and helplful..whta I mean is you know it all follow the rules here. Anyway, where are you in the Phil.? Can you tell me something about yourself? How long have you been in this wonderful site? It's really good to know someone from Phil.

I tell you NT and Banderas are really nice guys!!!
    Actually, it's not quite related to the topic but directs to one of your posts and the colonozation stuff.

It's just that I still feel it in my veins that, though physically we're no more under the power of Americans, we are still under their spell. One reason that Filipinos are so much into English is that people silently or sometimes unconsciously revere the Western culture. Thus, we tend to copy everything we see and hear from people of the west and incorporate it into ourselves.

This has it's good and bad sides. The good side is that we're heading towards competence and, like our jobs, we are given more opportunities to explore. The bad side, IMHO, is that we generally tag along the trend of the west and forgot about the original we.

But as I mentioned above, this is a little bit off the main topic.

P.S. Nice to join you, and I've been here in the site since June last year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast