Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Could you please explain to me a difference between "at weekends" and "on weekends"?

    And the second question in the question above should I use acticle 'a' or 'the' before the difference?


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    Could you please explain to me a difference between "at weekends" and "on weekends"?

    And the second question in the question above should I use acticle 'a' or 'the' before the difference?
    "at the weekend" / "at weekends" is British English
    "on the weekend" / "on weekends" is American English

    You don't put "the" if you're talking about weekends in general e.g "I love my job so much that at /on weekends I feel a bit depressed."

    cf "Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English", Third Edition.
    Last edited by naomimalan; 02-Apr-2008 at 16:13.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    "at the weekend" / "at weekends" is British English
    "on the weekend" / "on weekends" is American English

    You don't put "the" if you're talking about weekends in general e.g "I love my job so much that at /on the weekends I feel a bit depressed."

    cf "Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English", Third Edition.
    I mean 'a' or 'the' before the "difference" in my question :)

    Could you please explain to me a/the difference between "at weekends" and "on weekends"?

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Smile Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    You don't put "the" if you're talking about weekends in general e.g "I love my job so much that at /on the weekends I feel a bit depressed."
    So why did you use the in your sentence, Naomi?

    You could also convey the same meaning through saying:

    I love my job so much that at/on the weekend I feel a bit depressed.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Smile Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    I mean 'a' or 'the' before the "difference" in my question :)

    Could you please explain to me a/the difference between "at weekends" and "on weekends"?
    You use the in sentences like these:

    The accident happened on the weekend of 2 and 3 May.
    This month I have a lot of extra work to do, so I'm working at/on the weekends
    .
    or
    ...so I'm working every weekend.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    You use the in sentences like these:

    The accident happened on the weekend of 2 and 3 May.
    This month I have a lot of extra work to do, so I'm working at/on the weekends.
    or
    ...so I'm working every weekend.
    Sorry, but I am not asking about 'the' before weekends - I am asking about 'a/the' before the word 'difference' in this question:

    Could you please explain to me a/the difference between.... :)

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    Sorry, but I am not asking about 'the' before weekends - I am asking about 'a/the' before the word 'difference' in this question:

    Could you please explain to me a/the difference between.... :)
    Where did you see "at a weekend"?any examples?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Scotland
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 325
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Is there a difference between "on" or "at" the weekend?

    You don't know if there is a difference or not.

    What is the difference.........?

    You already know they are different but want to know what.

    As stated already there isn't any real difference in meaning just a difference in types of English.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Talking Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Where did you see "at a weekend"?any examples?
    I met my wife at a weekend party.

  5. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: "at weekends" and "on weekend"

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    I met my wife at a weekend party.
    Did you?

    "at a weekend" describes "party" here.
    I was wondering if "at a weekend" exists as a fixed expression?does it?
    as in: I am going to do it at a weekend?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "at the end","in the end" and "on the end"
    By Sula in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2005, 16:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •