Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Verb tense

  1. #1
    clos91 Guest

    Default Verb tense

    In some cases, the Weather Reading Record was captured with blanks and hyphens that made the total length greater than 30 characters.

    In the above sentence why is it that "was captured" is not "was capture" if capture is the verb, then was makes it pass tense right? I'm confuse can some one explain please? :(

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by clos91
    In some cases, the Weather Reading Record was captured with blanks and hyphens that made the total length greater than 30 characters.

    In the above sentence why is it that "was captured" is not "was capture" if capture is the verb, then was makes it pass tense right? I'm confuse can some one explain please? :(

    The sentence is passive:

    Passive: The Weather Reading Report was captured by someone....
    Active: Someone captured the Weather Reading Report....

    In the Passive sentence, was is the main verb and it carries past tense. caputured is a past participle. That is, it's not a verb; it's part of a verb.

    Passive verbs have the form: BE + past participle (e.g., was captured)

    All the best, :D

  3. #3
    clos91 Guest

    Default Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by clos91
    In some cases, the Weather Reading Record was captured with blanks and hyphens that made the total length greater than 30 characters.

    In the above sentence why is it that "was captured" is not "was capture" if capture is the verb, then was makes it pass tense right? I'm confuse can some one explain please? :(

    The sentence is passive:

    Passive: The Weather Reading Report was captured by someone....
    Active: Someone captured the Weather Reading Report....

    In the Passive sentence, was is the main verb and it carries past tense. caputured is a past participle. That is, it's not a verb; it's part of a verb.

    Passive verbs have the form: BE + past participle (e.g., was captured)

    All the best, :D
    First and foremost thank you for replying, and second your detailed explanation was great, and it helped to clarified my confusion. Again thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by clos91
    First and foremost thank you for replying, and second your detailed explanation was great, and it helped to clarified my confusion. Again thank you.
    You're welcome. :D

Similar Threads

  1. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 21:52
  2. as if vs. verb tense
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2004, 10:52
  3. english grammar
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2003, 15:27
  4. Subject of a verb
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2003, 07:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •