Post Thanks / Like

Default miss,bites any of us in the ass,and out

Hi, these're my three questions, thanks for your help!

(Script's from Prison Break 01x05)
    Vice President - How did we miss this, guys? (1.What does" miss" mean in this sentence? Does it mean to feel sad because you can no longer do sth. that you like? I mean, the V.P. means how far are we sad, disappointed about this thing, or how bad is about this thing?)
    Paul - Scofield's father was out of the picture by the time he was born. Took his mother's maiden name.
    V.P. - All right, Scofield had no priors and a full-time job as an engineer.
    P - Correct.
    V.P. - Then he goes and robs a bank, discharging a gun in the process. So that in sentencing, he could maneuvers his way to Fox River where his brother's scheduled to die in less than a month. Obviously, something is up.
    Hale - All due respect, brothers are incarcerated together all over the country. It may just be a coincidence.
    V.P. - Move on the younger brother. Do it preemptively before anything rises up, bites any of us in the ass. (2.What does this sentence mean?)

Sarah - Good afternoon, Mr. Scofield.
    Michael - Hello.
    S - How you feeling today?
    M - We're good.
    S - What happened?
    M - Um, caught an elbow playing basketball.
    S -Uh-huh. Mind if I take a look?
    M - By all means.
    S - You know you're gonna get killed in here, right? If you're not careful.
    M - I'll make you a bet. When I get out of here, alive, I'll take you to dinner. Lunch? Cup of coffee?
    S - Michael, this, um... this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble out in the yard. (3. What does "out" mean here? I mean, if I say_ this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble in the yard. So, what's the difference between these two sentence?) Lean forward.

Have a nice day!

beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: miss,bites any of us in the ass,and out

Vice President - How did we miss this, guys?
    I'd go for " How could we overlook this /fail to see it?"

V.P. - Move on the younger brother. Do it preemptively before anything rises up, bites any of us in the ass. (2.What does this sentence mean?)
    "gives any of us grief/causes major problems for any of us"

M - I'll make you a bet. When I get out of here, alive, I'll take you to dinner. Lunch? Cup of coffee?
    S - Michael, this, um... this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble out in the yard. Lean forward.

I imagine he is referring to a game of basketball he played outside the prison building in the yard where prisoners are allowed some fresh air every day( depending on how they behave?)

hope this helps.
    Last edited by beascarpetta; 04-Apr-2008 at 18:33. Reason: spelling mistake

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post

Vice President - How did we miss this, guys? (1.What does" miss" mean in this sentence? Does it mean to feel sad because you can no longer do sth. that you like? I mean, the V.P. means how far are we sad, disappointed about this thing, or how bad is about this thing?)
    "Miss" in this case means overlook, or not notice. "How did we not see this, guys?"
    Paul - Scofield's father was out of the picture by the time he was born. Took his mother's maiden name.
    V.P. - All right, Scofield had no priors and a full-time job as an engineer.
    P - Correct.
    V.P. - Then he goes and robs a bank, discharging a gun in the process. So that in sentencing, he could maneuvers his way to Fox River where his brother's scheduled to die in less than a month. Obviously, something is up.
    Hale - All due respect, brothers are incarcerated together all over the country. It may just be a coincidence.
    "Bites us in the ass" means something that you did long ago will come back to haunt you. In this case, they suspect that this man has committed a crime specifically to get incarcerated in the same prison as his brother. A man with no previous history of violent crime suddenly robs a bank using a gun? It certainly raises suspicion. Plus, this man is an engineer, so the authorities are thinking that his plan was to get into the same prison as his brother and then devise some way to allow both of them to escape. So, just in case their theory is correct, they will take steps to move the brother to another jail as a precaution. If they hadn't done this, and the pair did escape, they would've been criticized by the media and the public for not foreseeing this. The neglect to move the brother the original prision would've "bitten them in the ass" once the pair escaped.

Sarah - Good afternoon, Mr. Scofield.
    Michael - Hello.
    S - How you feeling today?
    M - We're good.
    S - What happened?
    M - Um, caught an elbow playing basketball.
    S -Uh-huh. Mind if I take a look?
    M - By all means.
    S - Michael, this, um... this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble out in the yard. (3. What does "out" mean here? I mean, if I say_ this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble in the yard. So, what's the difference between these two sentence?) Lean forward.

Have a nice day!
    The "yard" is an outdoor common area in a prison. The prisoners are let out of their cells and are allowed to mingle with one another and play games (basketball, baseball, etc) while out in the yard. "Out" in this case means out of their cells and outdoors in the yard.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post

Vice President - How did we miss this, guys? (1.What does" miss" mean in this sentence? Does it mean to feel sad because you can no longer do sth. that you like? No! I mean, the V.P. means how far are we sad, disappointed about this thing, or how bad is about this thing?) 'Miss' in this context means "How did we not notice/learn/discover this?" It came as a surprise to them because they 'missed' the clue/information/indicator.

V.P. - Move on the younger brother. Do it preemptively before anything rises up, bites any of us in the ass. (2.What does this sentence mean?) Move on Michael (get him out of the picture) before something else happens that can screw up our plans. "We don't want any surprises biting us in the ass!"

S - Michael, this, um... this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble out in the yard. (3. What does "out" mean here? I mean, if I say_ this charm act could be exactly what's getting you into trouble in the yard. So, what's the difference between these two sentence?). Being charming (cordial) with your fellow inmates could be dangerous. Essentially, in this example, in the yard and out in the yard mean the same thing. Common usage among prisoners would be 'out in the yard.'

Have a nice day!
    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

Enjoy the shows!

Cheers,
    Amigo

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Ouisch! You obviously type faster than I do! I didn't see your post before I published my reply!

Cheers,
    Amigo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, you guys, I really appreciate your help.
    I like English, I like American Show!!!

Have a nice day!