naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reliable placement test?

Could any teachers recommend any reliable placement tests with level indicators? Preferably downloadable but to be filled in offline. Restricted to grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension.
    Thank you in advance!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reliable placement test?

You could try some of these and see if they're OK: Level Tests - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com

Batfink is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Tdol has answered your question. But if your place has a few bob you might want to have a look at the "Oxford Placement Test" package.

It has everything you need. From the tests to the answer form, the package also includes an acetate which you apply over the written answers, thus quickening the process of marking. And of course, the diagnostic key, which for you in Europe, is helpful when assessing the learner's level either by the IELTS system, or, for you, the Common European Framework system.

It is most invaluable.

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
    Tdol has answered your question. But if your place has a few bob you might want to have a look at the "Oxford Placement Test" package.

It has everything you need. From the tests to the answer form, the package also includes an acetate which you apply over the written answers, thus quickening the process of marking. And of course, the diagnostic key, which for you in Europe, is helpful when assessing the learner's level either by the IELTS system, or, for you, the Common European Framework system.

It is most invaluable.
    Thank you for your advice, Batfink. In fact, my school had one of these - but possibly pretty old and so maybe different from current ones. It is excellent, I agree, but the problem is that the reading comprehension is part and parcel of the listening comprehension and this particular school doesn't have the facilities for group listening within the context of a placement test .

The sort of test we give unfortunately consists only of grammar, vocabulary and reading. Inadequate I know but that's the way it is.