Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

I know that the expression “to call attention” has two meanings in my natural language but at the same time in your natural language “to call attention”” means only “ to call somebody’s attention to something” and “to attract attention” means “to attract somebody’s attention to oneself. e.g.

The guide called the attention of the excursion to the picture that hung in the corner.

Backy Sharp’s beauty attracted everybody’s attention.

Note that the phrase “to draw somebody’s attention” may be used in either of the cases. If it means “to attract somebody’s attention” it is followed by a reflexive pronoun, e.g.

Backy Sharp liked to draw everybody’s attention to herself.

The teacher drew the student’s attention to the fact that the new word ahd a peculiar pronunciation.

Would you be kind enough to comment upon the mentioned above.

Regards.

V.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Hi, Vil - would you explain the two different meanings in Bulgarian first?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Anglika,

"I know that the expression “to call attention” has two meanings in my natural language"

The first meaning is "bring something to someone's notice" and the second meaning is "attract/ drew someone's attention" , "come into notice".

I am sorry that the tedious imperfection my English language is an unsurmountable holdback impeding our unprecidented communication.

Regards.

V.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
It is not a problem - helping people communicate is one thing this forum is designed to do.

Your differentiations are interesting in that we use two different forms to express what you say in one. So in Bulgarian the context must be very important in order to be sure that you are understood. Would I be right?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Anglika,

As usual during the past time, you made an impeccable speculation in your last post at the present thread.

Regards.

V..

Status
Not open for further replies.