• Post Thanks / Like

Help: How do we say it in English?

Dear Friends

I was asked by a friend to translate something for him into idiomatic English. Here are the English sentences (after translating them from Arabic literally). Could you most kindly suggest ways in which native speakers express the same information contained in every one?

I will be more than grateful..

That who has indulged himself in worldly affairs, deceived by hope of a long life, has indeed forgotten that: death comes at a sudden, and one’s tomb is the chest of his deeds.

Growing a flower on a stone is as futile as inscribing a poem on water.In vain will you complain to people about a wound of yours; the pain of a wound eventually cannot be felt except by the wounded.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: How do we say it in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Abu Risha View Post
    Dear Friends

I was asked by a friend to translate something for him into idiomatic English. Here are the English sentences (after translating them from Arabic literally). Could you most kindly suggest ways in which native speakers express the same information contained in every one?

I will be more than grateful..

That who has indulged himself in worldly affairs, deceived by hope of a long life, has indeed forgotten that: death comes at a sudden, and one’s tomb is the chest of his deeds.

He who has indulged himself in worldly matters, believing in a long life, has forgotten that death can come suddenly and that his tomb will be the last container of his deeds.

Growing a flower on a stone is as futile as inscribing a poem on water.In vain will you complain to people about a wound of yours; the pain of a wound eventually cannot be felt except by the wounded.

Trying to grow a flower on a stone is as futile as writing a poem on water.

It is in vain that you complain to others about your wound - the pain cannot be felt except by yourself.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: How do we say it in English?

Thank you very much for your reply. I am very grateful.