Semicolons and Quotes

• Thread starter Iliana
  • Start date
  • Views : 63,086
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iliana

While it is true that commas are placed prior to the ending quote symbol (e.g., "5," "6," etc.) what about a phrase that ends with a semicolon and quotes. Example: She said it was "magnificent";

Does the ; go inside or outside the quote? It sure does look better on the outside. Does someone know?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English, we are flexible about punctuation in quotes- we can put it inside or outside according to where we feel it goes best. ;-)

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say that if the quote is from a written source then the punctuation should be within the quote as it was in the original. Otherwise, I agree with TDOL. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most style guides in the USA probably say you should put it on the outside, but I agree with putting it on the inside.

8)

J

John D

Hi everyone :) ,

So I grabbed a couple of books just to see where the Brits and the Americans were putting their commas, full stops etc. One of them was Rice by Su Tong, translated by Howard Goldblatt.

Guess what? Rice had no punctuation (speech) marks in... at all. I had read it and never noticed. Just goes to show how complacent one can become, I must have put the speech marks in myself, without seeing them.

:shock:

John D.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Red5 said:
I would say that if the quote is from a written source then the punctuation should be within the quote as it was in the original. Otherwise, I agree with TDOL. ;-)

I still say that you can be flexible here and do what suits your sentence best. ;-)

J

John D

Hi lliana,

In your example the semicolon needs to be outside the quotation marks. The semicolon has no part in what she actually quoted. The semicolon will be used as the indication a short pause is to be taken before continuing to (read) the rest of the sentence.

John D.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with you, John- for me, the only time the question of punctuation inside arises is when you're quoting a phrase, which may contain punctuation and then it's a question of fitting it into the sentence. ;-)

C

Confucius

If you use Microsoft Words, the program will tell you when to use Semicolons, so i never worry about it. :eek:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Microsoft Word is far from infallible. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.