Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Post Personal Statement for Computer Science

Hello people, Sebastian from Greece here!

I am one step before applying for Computer Science, this last step is my personal statement. Knowing that the universities I am applying to actually read personal statements I want mine to be as good as possible and I am about to post it here so you can help me improve it, language-wise.

Before posting it here though I would like to get a confirmation that it's legal, I don't want to create any troubles.

After I post it feel free to make corrections, reccommendations and comments. While I am not expecting to hear your opinion on the personal statement itself, but on the language used, any thoughts on its content are welcome! So, should I go on and post it? :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal Statement for Computer Science

Since this post had 30 views but no replies, I thought of giving it a try anyways. Worst case is someone steals my personal statement... :P

Ok, here we are, be critic!

A lot of maths fans, in order to explain their passion about their subject, state that "Maths are everywhere". Even though this is true, most of people have to put much effort to out-discover maths. On the other side, it’s a fact that computers are also everywhere, hard work is needed only if you insist in ignoring them, contrary to our times as it’s a matter of fact that they draw up the guidelines for our future.

Apart from being widely spread, computers also play a vital role in the formation of humanity's tomorrow. We have witnessed a lot of "mini-revolutions" in the last decades, mainly because of computers. One of these "revolutions" is the so-called "Web 2.0" which has not only influenced the whys and the ways we use personal computers, but our lives too: after so many years consuming information we can finally produce it too. This is not the only case though, because "Web 2.0" presented us with a whole new series of tools to make our lives better and, basically, easier. While a lot of geo-political changes are taking place, open-minded and well-informed people become more and more necessary every day. Personal computers have already widened our view range, so now it’s up to us to take steps further. Obviously, Web 2.0 is just an example of how personal computers have affected and will continue to affect our lives.

Of course, it's not only personal computers that define the future, it's computers in general. CERN is ready to make one of the most important experiments ever this summer and it's astonishing to know that nothing would be possible without computers. In addition to that, without computing on its simplest principles, our lives would be worse for various reasons: no morning alarms, no mobile communication, no digital entertainment. It's said that Computer Science is all about solving problems, but what about a problem-free world? Consider my passion about technology in general as well as my ambition to designate this perfect, problem-free world and you pretty much have the reason I am relishing for a chance to study Computer Science.

I understand that Computing is a challenging field, which requires a combination of logic and creativity but I strongly believe I have what it takes, in terms of both qualifications and qualities. I have never failed to achieve a goal I have set, no matter how hard it was. That's a result of my determination, my hard working nature and my easy adaptation to different situations.

Although, as you have probably already noticed, my love for computers cannot be easily described, my leisure time activities are drawn from different areas. I really enjoy listening to music, especially when it comes to unique sounds. I also like reading books because I think that, as with music, knowing what other people believe on specific issues and what they have gone through, helps my personal development. Furthermore, I like watching films, more or less for the same reasons and being with friends who can always offer some great times. When it comes to sports I enjoy following snooker, thrilled by the concentration and the precision it requires and playing basketball because of the heart-breaking moments it can offer. I also express myself through photography, I read programming books (especially Pascal and Ruby) and I have taken up blogging, through which I am given the chance to share my thoughts on social and political issues.

I wouldn't be sincere if I excluded the financial future my studies can offer. That's where I count myself lucky: since computer scientists can achieve a good salary, I hope to combine financial security with work satisfaction, given that I love computing. You may think you have everyone you need on board, but I dare to say that my ambition is rare. And who dares, wins.

Post Thanks / Like

My second try, hope you help!

I was only seven years old when I was firstly introduced to computing, through a video games console. The first few moments of excitement were followed by a lot of questions: how come the hero obeys to my orders, who made this game, how can I make my own one? Since then I can remember myself saving money to buy video games, The turning point however was around seven years later, when I sat in front of a PC screen and a whole new world expanded in front of my eyes: I could not only play but also listen to music, print pictures, watch videos, connect to the web and much more.

As a result, my enthusiasm for computing got stronger and I began spending my free time on it, reading magazines, visiting technology stores and discussing with other people. This enthusiasm also was the main reason for the orientation (Technology & IT) I chose in high school. There, I studied Discrete Mathematics and Statistics and with the help of my teacher I understood better the connection between them and computing. I also studied Programming, a subject mainly focused on algorithms, were I learned my first programming language, Pascal. Other subjects included on my orientation were Business Management and Physics, which, although less relevant to computing, contributed to my hard working nature.

In high school I also participated in two projects relevant to computing: I was assigned to make a report of my fellow students opinion about the school's computing equipment and make recommendations for its improvement. The result was rather satisfying with the school buying extra computers to fill the needs of the students. The second project was the creation of some mini maps of the monuments in my town, which I accomplished using flash and the construction of my school's web site. The maps were my high school's contribution to that year's Socrates Commenius, a students-exchange project that my school participates at. These weren't pure computing works but I got a small taste of how it is to work with computers. I also developed my organization skills and my leadership.

This year I am doing a Foundations of IT course, at Brunel University, which has so far helped me improve my mathematical ability and my english language skills, something which was one of the greatest challenges that arouse when I chose to study in UK.

Most of my spare time is gone to computing too: I am currently learning how to program using Ruby, I am constructing a web site for a friends' store from Corfu, I am blogging, which is an opportunity for me to express myself on social, political and other issues and I am sometimes playing computer games. Apart from the computing activities though, I enjoy listening to music, mostly jazz and classical, I read books, I watch movies and I so much like being with friends, no matter what we are doing. I am also pretty interested in sports, playing basketball and watching snooker: basketball is a way for me to stay fit and have fun and snooker is thrilling, because of the concentration and the precision it requires.

A look around is enough to persuade me that I want to study computer science: not only is it that too many things would be worse without computers but they also designate our future. I really want to play a vital role on my and others tomorrow's life and computer science is offering this chance to me, also giving me pleasure I can't find elsewhere.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably everyone thought you had had a reply because you kept bumping it! We do usually get to people within 24 hours, but we are volunteers and it is the weekend. However, I've gone through it for you.

I was only seven years old when I was introduced to computing, through a video games console. The first few moments of excitement were followed by a lot of questions: how come the hero obeys to my orders, who made this game, how can I make my own one? Since then I can remember saving money to buy video games. The turning point however was around seven years later, when I sat in front of a PC screen and a whole new world expanded in front of my eyes: I could not only play but also listen to music, print pictures, watch videos, connect to the web and much more.

As a result, my enthusiasm for computing got stronger and I began spending my free time on it, reading magazines, visiting technology stores and discussing it with other people. This enthusiasm also was the main reason for the orientation (Technology & IT) I chose in high school. There, I studied Discrete Mathematics and Statistics and with the help of my teacher I understood better the connection between them and computing. I also studied Programming, a subject mainly focused on algorithms, were I learned my first programming language, Pascal. Other subjects included on my orientation were Business Management and Physics, which, although less relevant to computing, contributed to my interest.

In high school I also participated in two projects relevant to computing: I was assigned to make a report of my fellow students' opinion about the school's computing equipment and make recommendations for its improvement. The result was rather satisfying with the school buying extra computers to fill the needs of the students. The second project was the creation of some mini maps of the monuments in my town, which I accomplished using flash and the construction of my school's web site. The maps were my high school's contribution to that year's Socrates Commenius, a students-exchange project that my school participates in. These weren't pure computing but I got a small taste of how it is to work with computers. I also developed my organizational skills and my leadership.

This year I am doing a Foundations of IT course at Brunel University, which has so far helped me improve my mathematical ability and my English language skills, something which was one of the greatest challenges that faced me when I chose to study in the UK.

Most of my spare time is spent in computing too: I am currently learning how to program using Ruby, I am constructing a web site for a friends' store from Corfu; I am blogging, which is an opportunity for me to express myself on social, political and other issues; I am sometimes play computer games. Apart from the computing activities though, I enjoy listening to music, mostly jazz and classical, I read books, I watch movies and I so much like being with friends, no matter what we are doing. I am also pretty interested in sports, playing basketball and watching snooker: basketball is a way for me to stay fit and have fun and snooker is thrilling, because of the concentration and the precision it requires.

A look around is enough to persuade me that I want to study computer science. Not only would many things be worse without computers but they also designate our future. I really want to play a vital role inis offering tomorrow's life and computer science offer me this chance as well as giving me pleasure I can't find elsewhere.