• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a letter of complaint

I recieved a letter from the city saying that I violated a part of Developmental Code of the City, I don't believe I violated it and want to dispute it via letter. I'd like to express truefully my opinion and even how I feel and do not want to use "Dear" to start the letter since I really don't feel "dear" to the person at all, is there a replacement? Here's the letter I drafted and I'd like to have it checked for grammatikal errors, sentence structures, wording, even for advice on how the tone of the language should be, etc. All help would be greatly appreciated.

____ Officer "so-and-so",

I've recieved a letter from the city dated 8 April 2008 with the reference # xxxxxxx stating that I violated City Code Sections x-x-x and x-x-x. I have thoroughly read both sections and believe that I violated neither. My car is a working vehicle which I drive everyday and parked consistently on my driveway and never on the side of the street, even then "parking on the side of the street" is not a violation under the specified City Code Section. Multiple residences in my neighborhood park their vehicles religiously both on the driveway and the street and have not been cited for it, I don't know why I'm being singled out. I would like to discuss this matter face to face or over the phone, please contact me at xxxxxxxx for any furthur dispute and I do hope this is a mere misunderstanding.

Sincerely
    xxxxx

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that in the letter my frustration should be strongly stated to gain grounds so I wouldn't be put off or pushed around. Is that a great advice?

Thanks in advance
    NT

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a letter of complaint

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    I recieved a letter from the city saying that I violated a part of Developmental Code of the City, I don't believe I violated it and want to dispute it via letter. I'd like to express truefully my opinion and even how I feel and do not want to use "Dear" to start the letter since I really don't feel "dear" to the person at all, is there a replacement? Here's the letter I drafted and I'd like to have it checked for grammatikal errors, sentence structures, wording, even for advice on how the tone of the language should be, etc. All help would be greatly appreciated.

____ Officer "so-and-so",

I've received a letter from the city dated 8 April 2008 with the reference # xxxxxxx stating that I violated City Code Sections x-x-x and x-x-x. I have thoroughly read both sections and believe that I violated neither. My car is a working vehicle which I drive everyday and parked consistently on my driveway and never on the side of the street, even [then] though "parking on the side of the street" is not a violation under the specified City Code Section.

I would like to discuss this matter face to face or [over the] by phone. Please contact me at xxxxxxxx .

[excise]
    Multiple residences in my neighborhood park their vehicles religiously both on the driveway and the street and have not been cited for it, I don't know why I'm being singled out. for any furthur dispute and I do hope this is a mere misunderstanding.

Sincerely
    xxxxx

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that in the letter my frustration should be strongly stated to gain grounds so I wouldn't be put off or pushed around. Is that a great advice?

Thanks in advance
    NT
    Nope, it isn't great advice. It won't matter a tinker's damn if you express the greatest of frustrations, NT, if you don't have a strong legal/factual case. It seems you do, so you should be, IMHO, as cool as a cucumber, state ONLY the facts of your case. To complain about other things will only weaken your position. How should any legal thing be dealt with? Of course with the facts and the applicable law.

It makes no difference to a policeman or other official as to how many people "break the law". Their focus is, and should be the current "lawbreaker". If they act with some inordinate sense of unfairness, only a judge can find that.

Did you really NEVER park on the street?

NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Nope, it isn't great advice. It won't matter a tinker's damn if you express the greatest of frustrations, NT, if you don't have a strong legal/factual case. It seems you do, so you should be, IMHO, as cool as a cucumber, state ONLY the facts of your case. To complain about other things will only weaken your position. How should any legal thing be dealt with? Of course with the facts and the applicable law.

It makes no difference to a policeman or other official as to how many people "break the law". Their focus is, and should be the current "lawbreaker". If they act with some inordinate sense of unfairness, only a judge can find that.

Did you really NEVER park on the street?
    Thank you very much riverkid, you are great! Thanks for rearranging my letter, I like it.

No, I really never parked on the street, there's no need for that. And I checked the document (development codes) and with neighbors, it's not a violation at all to park on the street which I don't.

This is not a citation from the police department, it's written up by a "Code Enforcement Officer", I don't know how much legal authority that title entails but I don't think it's a matter that would concern a judge. I am a little more than frustrated, and I asked before, is there an alternative to "Dear" as salutation. I don't want to give the officer too much satisfaction. Thanks.

NT
    p.s.: I'm taking your advice not to express my frustration too much.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more words.
    First, YES, you should use "Dear."

Lastly, this sentence is just no good.

It sounds like whining: Multiple residences in my neighborhood park their vehicles religiously both on the driveway and the street and have not been cited for it, I don't know why I'm being singled out. (the part that follows is not grammatical)

"Gee, Mom, all the other kids' mothers let them do it. Why can't I?"

If you do wish to use this, then don't use "religiously" - use "regularly"

"Residences" don't park cars, residents do.

Many of my immediate neighbors regularly park their cars in the street and I have never heard of any citations for this before. Is there simply a misunderstanding?

NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    A few more words.
    First, YES, you should use "Dear."

Lastly, this sentence is just no good.

It sounds like whining: Multiple residences in my neighborhood park their vehicles religiously both on the driveway and the street and have not been cited for it, I don't know why I'm being singled out. (the part that follows is not grammatical)

"Gee, Mom, all the other kids' mothers let them do it. Why can't I?"

If you do wish to use this, then don't use "religiously" - use "regularly"

"Residences" don't park cars, residents do.

Many of my immediate neighbors regularly park their cars in the street and I have never heard of any citations for this before. Is there simply a misunderstanding?
    Thanks Barb, I have nothing but to say.

NT