• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to do the trick

Dear teachers,

I shouldn’t like to be a wearisome intruder at the present respected forum at this moment with my unwelcome post but I couldn’t stifle my tempestuous curiosity. Let’s get this straightened out!

Words are wonderful things. I love to observe as words change their meanings, and even their spellings, as they are misused.

Often, the motor that drives the changes is ignorance. Sheer uneducated misuse and misunderstanding of words. But does that really matter? If everyone was linguistically educated, language wouldn't evolve. We'd all be so obsessed with lexicographical accuracy that the richness that makes our shared language such a delight and joy would never have developed.

Recently I read a medical article where I met an expression which grasped my attention namely “to do the trick”.

Sometimes, immobilisation of the back in a plaster jacket for six weeks, cures the pain, or it may take a special injection to do the trick.

I know that “do the trick” = “bring about a desired result, succeed, yield good results, bring good results,take effect, have as a result”

On the other hand, I think this expression might be interpreted in a misrepresented manner. My perverse subconsciousness put a sexual implied meaning in my brain where the term “trick” has a sexual sense.

Would you be kind enough explain to me the proper meaning of the present expression in question with some more plain English word?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to do the trick

Hi, Vil! It's good to hear from you, again!
    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Let's see if we can clarify this for you, Vil!

“Sometimes, immobilisation of the back in a plaster jacket for six weeks, cures the pain, or it may take a special injection to do the trick.”

I know that “do the trick” = “bring about a desired result, succeed, yield good results, bring good results,take effect, have as a result”

Re-write your sentence and see what develops:
    “Sometimes, immobilisation of the back in a plaster jacket for six weeks, cures the pain, or it may take a special injection to do the trick. ( to bring about the desired result.) To 'do the trick' in this context does not have a sexual meaning.

On the other hand, I think this expression might be interpreted in a misrepresented manner. My perverse subconsciousness put a sexual implied meaning in my brain where the term “trick” has a sexual sense.

* From a sexual perspective, the word 'trick' is slang for a prostitute's customer.

* To 'do the trick' is slang for having sex with the customer.

* Example: "The prostitute will do her tricks in a local motel.

* Example: "On average, a prostitute can turn 8 to 10 tricks per night."

Vil, you should have very little difficulty recognizing the differences between the contextual meanings of the expression 'do the trick'. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and swims like a duck...it's a duck! If a doctor is providing an injection it is not a sexual act. If a prostitute is servicing customers, it is definitely a sexual act. The contextual clues should be able to help you differentiate between the meaning of the expression.
    Cheers,
    Amigo

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Amigos4,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Thank you also for your comprehensive explanation. I was deeply impressed by your lifelike directions concerning my misrepresented manner of interpretation the expression in question “do the trick” or more precisely “turn a trick”. You have to understand my embarrassments: I don’t like to pile up errors.

Thank you again for your backing.

Regards.

V.

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post

Recently I read a medical article where I saw/found an expression which grasped my attention namely “to do the trick”.

Sometimes, immobilisation of the back in a plaster jacket for six weeks, cures the pain, or it may take a special injection to do the trick.

Personally, I can't think of any sexual connection with this saying. And no way in this sentence.

How funny, I hadn't seen Amigos answer yet. There you are! Sexual connotation after all!! Funny!

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Heidita,

Thank you again fot your advisable amendation. I see, the expression in question is not a wandering electron and consequesntly I couldn’t meet it, it is most likely that I could “see” or “find” it. Thank you for your perspicacity and exactingness.

It’s a good horse that never stumbles. I make mistakes because I read much and lose the root of the matter very often. On the second hand I am lacking in the winning enchantment and broad experience of life which are doubtless Amigos4’s possession.( )

You might see the following links which I think were a valid reason for my initial bewilderment.

do the trick: Information and Much More from Answers.com turn a trick: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Regards.

V.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That'll do the trick! (get it done)

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    [/color]

Personally, I can't think of any sexual connection with this saying. And no way in this sentence.

How funny, I hadn't seen Amigos answer yet. There you are! Sexual connotation after all!! Funny!
    Heidita, it is quite obvious to me that you are spending way too much time in the swimming pool and not enough time cruising the local motels!!!

XOXOXO,
    Amigo

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Heidita, it is quite obvious to me that you are spending way too much time in the swimming pool and not enough time cruising the local motels!!!

XOXOXO,
    Amigo