Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: a second ticker

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 285
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    a second ticker

    Hi,

    "I finished an unattended. Natural causes. Guy was a hundred and six, and his second ticker conked on him in his sleep. Good way to go if you gotta"

    What is a second ticker? A clock??? Does it mean A clock hit a man to death when he was sleeping??

    Tks,

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 285
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

    One more question.

    A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
    Bax: "Low and long"

    What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

    One more question.

    A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
    Bax: "Low and long"

    What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?
    second ticker - pace maker (heart)
    hanging low - male anatomy

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 285
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

    One more question.

    A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
    Bax: "Low and long"

    What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?
    second ticker - pace maker (heart)

    ha ha ha, i thought of that too, like heart-attack while sleeping but i'm not so sure 'coz nowhere in my dictionary saying that the second ticker means pace maker. anyway, tks! :D

    hanging low - male anatomy

    for this one, i'm still not clear. why greeting by saying hanging low? weird. and if it's male anatomy, it's more weird. better explanation?? :(


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    I didn't guess those two meanings either, but they make sense. In a forensic context, one could imagine that doctors/students would make joke about the corpses, their male 'attribute' etc.

    FRC


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    I didn't guess those two meanings either, but they make sense. In a forensic context, one could imagine that doctors/students would make joke about the corpses, their male 'attribute' etc.

    FRC
    Mea culpa!! I got mixed up. sorry!

    He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 285
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.
    Wow, so it means that his heart rate was low at 106 and then passed away. Not heart attack, just heart was too weak, right?

    Anyway, how about the "hanging low"? any better explanation. I don't understand why people greet each other by saying hanging low (and answer it as low and long), it's really weird and I don't get it at all. In this case, the medical examiner greets the police who brought the corps to his office. It seems to me like he wanna mean "had a bad case again?", is it possible? :?

    tks.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.
    Wow, so it means that his heart rate was low at 106 and then passed away. Not heart attack, just heart was too weak, right?

    Anyway, how about the "hanging low"? any better explanation. I don't understand why people greet each other by saying hanging low (and answer it as low and long), it's really weird and I don't get it at all. In this case, the medical examiner greets the police who brought the corps to his office. It seems to me like he wanna mean "had a bad case again?", is it possible? :?

    tks.
    I am not a medical specialist but the sentence did not mention the word heart attack.

    I really do not want to go into any detail about male penis pride. OK? Maybe one of the gentlemen could be of assistance?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 285
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    I am not a medical specialist but the sentence did not mention the word heart attack.

    I really do not want to go into any detail about male penis pride. OK? Maybe one of the gentlemen could be of assistance?
    Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I'm not native english speaker and don't get American slang or informal language they speak. That's why I need some help here to clarify my confusion. I searched from the internet about the word "hanging low" and it didn't show me exactly what it meant but some context I got, see below the olive text, it can mean "head hanging low" not the male thing. So I just think it might be possible that the ME guy asked if the cop still got cold cases or whatever. You know, I didn't think they talked about the male thing at all. That's why when you told me that it was, I'm quite surprised. I think it's pretty weird to greet each other like that. That's why I just ask. I didn't mean to upset you. If I do, I'm sorry.

    FYI, quoted I got from the online novel:

    To an island to see a sunset that he thought could speak. But the sun did not speak, so the man left, dejected, sad with his head hanging low on his walk back home.


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    You've not been rude.

    FRC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •