Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: while

Post Thanks / Like
    In this case they both work, as "it rained" => "streets are wet" (no long after), and "streets are wet" => "it rained". I take it you can tell the difference between streets wet b/c it rained and b/c they've been washed or any other reason....
    So if one of the proposition is true, you can say "although" the other one is false.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Now we know why 'inversion' works, so let's take a look at the real issue: the semantics of the words in question. while and although are not synonymous: They mean different things. :wink: Even though and although are synonyms; while and although are not. While means, whereas, in contrast or comparison to the fact that.

1. The street is wet, whereas it hasn't been raining. (Odd)

2. The street is wet, although it hasn't been raining.
    3. The street is wet, even though it hasn't been raining.

2. and 3. express 'despite the fact'. 1. expresses, 'contrary to the fact'. That is,

Contrary to the fact that the street is wet, it hasn't been raining.
    The street is wet, contrary to the fact that it hasn't been raining.

gisele Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hi, Taka,

There's an explanation based on Practical English Usge by Michael Swan.

balancing contrasting points:on the other hand/while/whereas
    These expressions are used to balance two facts or ideas that contrast, but do not contradic each other.
    1. Arranged marriages are common in many Middle Eastern countries.In the West, on the other hand, they are unusual.
    2.I like spending my hoilidays in the mountains, while/whereas my wife prefers the saeside.
    3.While/Whereas some languages have 30 or more different vowel sounds, others have five or less.

Seems like turning it around just makes sense. The reversed one may sound a tad awkward. Hope that helps. :wink:

For more on while x although, click here.

Gisele

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gisele
    Hi, Taka,

These expressions are used to balance two facts or ideas that contrast, but do not contradic each other.
    1. Arranged marriages are common in many Middle Eastern countries.In the West, on the other hand, they are unusual.
    2.I like spending my hoilidays in the mountains, while/whereas my wife prefers the saeside.
    3.While/Whereas some languages have 30 or more different vowel sounds, others have five or less.

Seems like turning it around just makes sense. The reversed one may sound a tad awkward. Hope that helps. :wink:

Gisele
    Thank you, Gisele. That was very kind of you. :D

Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the valuable information, Gisele! :D That kind of answer is what I've wanted! "Mild concession"...It's really persuasive.

gisele Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by gisele
    Hi, Taka,

Gisele
    Thank you, Gisele. That was very kind of you. :D

You're welcome, Casiopea. :D

gisele Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Thank you for the valuable information, Gisele! :D That kind of answer is what I've wanted! "Mild concession"...It's really persuasive.

You're welcome, Taka :D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4