• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ink pen or fountain pen?

This question came up today : fountain pen or ink pen?

I thought or friend Shal meant a ball pen, as it is also filled with ink, isn't it? As to her opinion, she said a "fountain pen" is called an ink pen in India.

I only knew the word fountain pen for that sooooo old fashioned kind of pen, which I am sure I am the only one left to use.

Can you interchange the words?

cheers from Spain!!

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ink pen or fountain pen?

Yes, they are interchangeable.

Pens are just pens.

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, not the same though a fountain pen to a ball pen.

I don't think pens are just pens at all!!! A fountain pen gives you a certain kind of ...character?

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes. The writing seems much more personal.

They are rarely used in the US. perhaps because the ink tends to smear or fade.

Most folks here use regular click pens. (ink pens)

Collectors of fountain pens are seeing a big interest in fountain pens and an increase in prices.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so you say "click pen"?

I don't know, is that known and used in Britain too?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    Oh, so you say "click pen"?

I don't know, is that known and used in Britain too?
    I haven't heard that phrase in Br English (although I'd understand it if someone said it - presumably it's a retractable ball-pen that clicks when you operate the mechanism). There's a huge range of words we use, and makers keep thinking up new ones. There's the trade-name Biro (pronounced /'baırəʊ/) - used as a generic term, much to the annoyance of the makers), Bic (also a trade-name, generally not used so loosely, but sometimes...), ball-pen, roller-ball (another trade-name I think), felt-tip (the sort with a FT), fine-liner; there's a new sort called a gel pen, filled with some kind of gel.

Fountain pens are still sold, and you can even get disposable ones. For added convenience (no filling from an ink bottle) you can get a thing called a 'cartridge pen' - which has liquid ink like a fountain pen but is refilled via little plastic cartridges which - when they work (!) - just push in (and the pushing in breaks a seal).

b

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This happens to be one of my pet peeves... My husband always says "ink pen," instead of just "pen" (a pen, by definition, uses ink). Terms like "click pen" are regional slang. If you're going to be specific and say anything other than simply "pen," then the proper terms are either ball-point pen or fountain pen. A ball-point has a self-contained ink supply and a particuar type of rolling tip, while a typical fountain pen has a "nib" and must be dipped into an ink supply.

shalstudent is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Heidi, for posting the question and thanks for the response to the moderators and to susiedqq.

RedMtl is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: ink pen or fountain pen?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    This happens to be one of my pet peeves... My husband always says "ink pen," instead of just "pen" (a pen, by definition, uses ink). Terms like "click pen" are regional slang. If you're going to be specific and say anything other than simply "pen," then the proper terms are either ball-point pen or fountain pen. A ball-point has a self-contained ink supply and a particuar type of rolling tip, while a typical fountain pen has a "nib" and must be dipped into an ink supply.
    I do my best to avoid adding controversial posts, however I cannot let this one pass.

As a calligrapher, I must strongly disagree with the comment by susiedqq who stated that "pens are just pens." They are, most assuredly, not so simply defined.

This said, the question here derives from the initial post: "Fountain pen or ink pen." To me, these would be the same thing -- in that neither would suggest to me a ball-point pen, a felt pen, a roller ball or something other than a pen which used infused or dipped ink.

My mother is not a calligrapher, and even she would not think of an "ink pen" or a "fountain pen" as something other than a free-flowing nib. She is very specific with regard pens, asking for a ball-point or something else, depending on her desires and needs.

I do agree that a pen by definition uses ink -- and as such is clearly different from pencil, chalk, crayon or another tool for writing/drawing.

So, fountain pen is to my thinking very specific.

Ink pen is redundant. All pens use ink.

Some modern "fountain" pens do have cartridges. I do use them -- if I'm travelling, or in a pinch. Otherwise, I use (for calligraphy) a "dip" pen. This uses free flowing ink, is dipped into a pot, and has nothing resembling the reservoir a common "fountain pen" would have.

Methinks this thread will have so many differing opinions that one might be wise to desist!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    This happens to be one of my pet peeves...
    Interesting expression, Quosch, what does it mean?
    then the proper terms are either ball-point pen or fountain pen.
    This is precisely what I meant: does everybody agree on this? I mean, is this more of a personal opinion or does everybody here believe a fountain pen is just like any other pen?

I certainly do not. A fountain pen not only has "flowing ink" or cartridges, but it also has a completely different tip, namely a feather (I don't know if you call this feather, I am translating).

A ball pen, click pen or pen simply, has a ball or something similar at the tip and should therefore not be called a simple pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by shalstudent View Post
    Thanks Heidi, for posting the question and thanks for the response to the moderators and to susiedqq.
    There you are, look at this mess! I was completely sure a fountain pen was sooo different from a ball pen, now everybody seems to agree on the fact : a pen is jsut a pen. Terrible!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMtl View Post
    As a calligrapher, I must strongly disagree with the comment by susiedqq who stated that "pens are just pens." They are, most assuredly, not so simply defined.
    Well, I am glad somebody else thinks so.

This said, the question here derives from the initial post: "Fountain pen or ink pen." To me, these would be the same thing -- in that neither would suggest to me a ball-point pen, a felt pen, a roller ball or something other than a pen which used infused or dipped ink.
    Quite so, badly expressed. Our friend Shal, please correct me if I am wrong, meant "ball pen" when she said "ink pen". I would not have thought that one said ink pen at all, as all pens have ink, like Quisch already said.

So, fountain pen is to my thinking very specific.
    That's what I thought, but almost everybody said the opposite.

Methinks this thread will have so many differing opinions that one might be wise to desist!
    Methinks so , too. But I don't think I will wise.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast