• Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Asking advice about my career

Dear teachers and friends,

First of all, I am sorry if I put this question on the wrong section because this is the only section that has relation with career since it discussing about resume and cover letter. If you find it didnít appropriate to be here, you can move it to somewhere else. Thanks.

Here is my situation. I have important interview in a couple of days and I have to prepare for it. Last year, I had new job and I really like that job. Unfortunately, bad things happened which is out of our control. The company got some financial problems and they fail to pay our salary in a few months. Due to that reason, I decide to send my resume and finally this year, I manage to get a new job.

Again, bad things happened. The work environment here is not as expected. The job scope is out of expertise, I was given unrelated job, didnít get enough resource to do a job such as didnít have notebook and Internet access. Simple to say, everything is wrong and boring. I also didnít have a chance to learn and do the things I like.

Based on that reasons, I decide to submit my resume again. I really wanted this job and I like the job scope. But Iím very sure about one thing. They going to ask me

ďI saw some pattern pertaining to your job history. Last year you got a new job and this year you got another job. And today, youíre looking for another job again. Can you tell me why this happened? And are you gonna stay here for a long time?Ē

Here is my draft to answer for that question.

ďLast year, I being offered as a Consultant and I really like that job. The job scope, environment, I had a chance to learn a new things, the things that I like most in this career. I never plan to leave while I worked with this company. Unfortunately, bad things happened which is out of our control. The company got some financial problems and they fail to pay our salary for a couple of months. Due to that reasons, I decide to looking for another job and finally I got this job as a Auditor.

But again, I didnít get the things that was being promised while they interview me. I got not resource to do the job, no internet access, no notebook, and doesnít have a chance to improve myself in technical. I have good technical background and suddenly I have to do the things that doesnít related to my job.

Iím very sure with your esteemed established company with a lot of technical expertise there, Iím more than happy working with them. Iím sure that I can improve and enhance myself especially in technical expertise and hopefully it can help your company in research and developmentĒ

How about that? And then before I leave from the interview session, can I say this

ďI appreciate the time you took in discussing this opportunity with me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you further. ThanksĒ

Is it the best way to end up the interview session? Or any better idea so I can get a new job and start a new life.

Your advice and comment would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Asking advice about my career

Quote Originally Posted by hampeh View Post
    ďI saw some pattern pertaining to your job history. Last year you got a new job and this year you got another job. And today, youíre looking for another job again. Can you tell me why this happened? And are you going to stay here for a long time?Ē

Here is my draft to answer for that question.

ď Job scope, good working environment and the chance to learn new things, were what I seek most in this career. Last year, I was offered a position as a Consultant and on paper I really liked that job. I never planned to leave while I worked with this company. Unfortunately,the company had some financial problems and they failed to pay salaries for a couple of months. For this reason I decide to look for another job and finally I got my current position as an Auditor.

But again, I didnít get what was offered at my interview. I have no resources to do the job, no internet access, no notebook, and do not have a chance to improve myself on the technical side. I have good technical background and suddenly I have to do the things that do not relate to my job.

By contrast, your company has plenty of technical expertise, and offers the working environment that I have been seeking. I would appreciate the chance to apply my own technical training in helping with research and development within the company.Ē

How about that? And then before I leave from the interview session, can I say this

ďI appreciate the time you took in discussing this opportunity with me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you further. Thank you for the interview.Ē

Is it the best way to end up the interview session? Or any better idea so I can get a new job and start a new life.

Your advice and comment would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
    Sorry you're having a difficult time.

Your parting statement is fine.

I think you need to be very clear what it is that you can offer a company, and very clear about what it is you want to do. If your interest is in research and development, then a job as an auditor is not really suitable since it is presumably primarily using an existing process.

hampeh is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Asking advice about my career

Thanks Anglika for your reply. I really appreciate that. In fact, Iím waiting this kind of answer since I post it.

Wish me all the best for the interview and hopefully I will get whatever I want. Again, thanks for correcting all my grammar errors and give me some idea what should I do during the interview. Right now Iím still studying about technical things because Iím expecting a lot of technical question from them since they are doing a lot of research and development.

Thanks