lorena oliveira is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Letter to the Home Office, is that correct??

Hiya,

I need to send over a letter to the home office regarding some missing documents I should provide to them.
    Can you please help me and check if the written letter below is correct??I know I need to be more formal when writing to a public organisation.
    Your help would be very much appreciated
    Thanx:)

Dear Sir/Madam

My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department. It has been in processing for 4 months.
    We have recently received a letter from you regarding some missing documents I should provide with including my original Italian passport and the last 3 months payslips from my current employer.
    The only identification document I have is my original Italian ID which had been provided with the application form, so I do not have a Passport once I did not need to provide when entering in the UK. Unfortunately, I am not able to request a passport within the Italian Consulate in UK from the fact that my original ID has been with your department .Also, I could not provide on time my last payslips.I have requested them to my new employer but that will take some extra days to be ready
    Please find enclosed my marriage pictures and a letter of employment. The remaining documents will be sent soon.

Could you please advise me on this matter?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Letter to the Home Office, is that correct??

Quote Originally Posted by lorena oliveira View Post
    Hiya,

I need to send over a letter to the Home Office regarding some missing documents I should provide to them.
    Can you please help me and check if the written letter below is correct??I know I need to be more formal when writing to a public organisation.
    Your help would be very much appreciated
    Thanx:)

Dear Sir/Madam

My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department. It has been under consideration for 4 months.

We have recently received a letter from you regarding some missing documents I should provide, including my original Italian passport and the last 3 months payslips from my current employer.

The only identification document I had in my possession was my original Italian ID which was included with the application form sent to you on [date]. I do not have a Passport since I did not need one when entering the UK. Unfortunately, I am not able to request a passport from the Italian Consulate in London because my original ID is still with your department.

I have requested copies of the payslips from my current employer but they will take some days to be ready.

Please find enclosed my marriage pictures and a letter of employment. The remaining documents will be sent as soon as I can obtain them.

In the meantime, this delay is causing me concern, and the lack of my ID in particular could lead to problems. Could you please advise me on this matter?

joshharnett is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion

1. My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department. It has been in processing for 4 months.

should have been:
    My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department for last 4 months.

should have been:

Your kind advise in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Any comments from Anglika and Lorena are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshharnett View Post
    In my opinion

1. My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department. It has been in processing for 4 months.

should have been:
    My wife and I have an EEA2 application currently under consideration by your department for last 4 months.

should have been:

Your kind advise in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Any comments from Anglika and Lorena are welcome.
    #1 "have had" "for the last four months"

#2 "advice".

The danger in this kind of letter is that you may appear aggressive - and that is to be avoided in dealing with modern bureaucrats. And in #2, this in modern Britain is too servile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    And in #2, this in modern Britain is too servile.
    Thank you Anglika for the response.

in #2

Does it sound too servile in American English as well? I have seen such sentences used in American correspondence quiet often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshharnett View Post
    Thank you Anglika for the response.

in #2

Does it sound too servile in American English as well? I have seen such sentences used in American correspondence quiet often.
    I have never seen such a usage in any business correspondence received from the US.

An American may be able to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate.

lorena oliveira is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your helps!!