mjq1986 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The usage of the word "hence"

Hello everyone...

Just found this site today and I'm so glad I did. I'm from Pakistan and my primary language is urdu, however as english was also a major part of my schooling thats why I always made sure that I learn its proper usage at every step of my life. I'm very fond of book reading and that also helped me a great deal in improving my english.

I still have a long way but I am 21 and I am sure with the passage of time, I'd manage to have a good control over this language.

Coming to the point, I was confused about the usage of the word "hence."

Can we start a sentence with it? If yes then I'd highly appreciate if you could give me some examples as well.

Thank you!

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The usage of the word "hence"

No, it is not used at the beginning of a sentences because of its adverbial role in the sentence.

I am hard of hearing, hence, the hearing aid.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is an AmE and BrE difference, but 'hence' does come at the start of a sentence sometimes here when it's suprasentential. These examples are taken from the British National Corpus; don't they work for you?

• ...quite a few people have mistaken impressions from the media. Hence, during my time in post I have made a positive effort to spread the...
    • ...also to the integration of context and knowledge in the different processing stages. Hence the current study forms the first part of a contextual recognition system.
    • ...especially if the process was to be attempted on a small personal computer. Hence other methods were tried in order to reduce the memory overheads, and comparisons were made...

Source: [Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus

RedMtl is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: The usage of the word "hence"

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Maybe this is an AmE and BrE difference, but 'hence' does come at the start of a sentence sometimes here when it's suprasentential. These examples are taken from the British National Corpus; don't they work for you?
    • ...quite a few people have mistaken impressions from the media. Hence, during my time in post I have made a positive effort to spread the...
    • ...also to the integration of context and knowledge in the different processing stages. Hence the current study forms the first part of a contextual recognition system.
    • ...especially if the process was to be attempted on a small personal computer. Hence other methods were tried in order to reduce the memory overheads, and comparisons were made...
    Source: [Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus
    It might be a British/American difference, but it certainly isn't a British/Canadian difference. We routinely start sentences with "hence" and the examples above are perfectly adequate so I won't add any.

mjq1986 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank u so much everyone for ur help. It helped me a great deal in clearing up my confusion. I really appreciate that!