• Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default put a nice cap on...

Hello there,

A few comments from the primary on the investigation would put a nice cap on the segment.

what does "put a nice cap on..." mean? pay more attention to...? or make it more interesting?? or what??

oh, investigation here is crime investigation.

Tks,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: put a nice cap on...

Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Hello there,

A few comments from the primary on the investigation would put a nice cap on the segment.

what does "put a nice cap on..." mean? pay more attention to...? or make it more interesting?? or what??

oh, investigation here is crime investigation.

Tks,
    a cap is a lid. It closes a jar; It rests on one's head. :D To cap something off is to end something. 8)

All the best, :D

beeja is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's pretty weird for me. I quoted you more context so you may help me clarify.

A: Shouldn't you be in front of a camera somewhere?
    B: There's more to the job than looking pretty on screen. I've just about wrapped an interview with Sam. A few comments from the primary on the investigation would put a nice cap on the segment.
    A: Turn off the recorder.
    B: Ok, okay.

Does it mean that B (a reporter) would like to have more information from A: (a cop) because A is a primary source of this investigation and the comments from A will make the news more accurate. Possible??

:D

Another thing to ask, it's pretty weird (again.)

A medical examiner was examining the dead body and a police who was the primary on this case came in. A medical examiner greeted the police by saying...

ME: "Hi, hanging low?"
    Cop: "Yeah, low and long...low and long."

I don't get it. Any explanation?

:(

Tks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's pretty weird for me. I quoted you more context so you may help me clarify.

B: There's more to the job than looking pretty on screen. I've just about wrapped an interview with Sam. A few comments from the primary on the investigation would put a nice cap on the segment.
    A: Turn off the recorder.
    B: Ok, okay.

Does it mean that B (a reporter) would like to have more information from A: (a cop) because A is a primary source of this investigation and the comments from A will make the news more accurate. Possible??
    B has just about completed (i.e., wrapped) the interview with Sam. Note that, the interview is on tape. There is no camera. B suggests they end (i.e., cap) the news report/segment with closing remarks from the primary. A agrees and tells B to turn off the recorder (i.e, an audio tape recorder). The assumption: they are going to look for or wait for the primary before starting the tape recorder again.

Another thing to ask, it's pretty weird (again.)

A medical examiner was examining the dead body and a police who was the primary on this case came in. A medical examiner greeted the police by saying...

ME: "Hi, hanging low?"
    Cop: "Yeah, low and long...low and long."

I don't get it. Any explanation?
    I'm not sure. Sorry. :(

beeja is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

B has just about completed (i.e., wrapped) the interview with Sam. Note that, the interview is on tape. There is no camera. B suggests they end (i.e., cap) the news report/segment with closing remarks from the primary. A agrees and tells B to turn off the recorder (i.e, an audio tape recorder). The assumption: they are going to look for or wait for the primary before starting the tape recorder again.
    In this story, A is a primary cop who handles this investigation. So, the primary here should mean A, right? I mean "primary" here is the primary cop on this investigation, right?

Thanks! :)

Post Thanks / Like

In this story, A is a primary cop who handles this investigation. So, the primary here should mean A, right? I mean "primary" here is the primary cop on this investigation, right?
    As in, A few more comments from you, A? OK. :D