Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    nraaman is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Online Class Discussions

    The quality of discussion often makes the difference between a good and a grate online class. Both students and instructors have the responsibility to make discussion a success. While instructors undoubtedly must help guide and facilitate discussion, a valuable exchange of ideas can only happen through the efforts of Students. There are things students can do to bring energy and depth to class participation.

    The first strategy is to take initiative during discussion. In adult education, worthwhile discussions are student-driven. Therefore, students took an active role in helping to generate discussion. Use discussion to promote they’re own learning, by asking questions, exploring issues, and making connections between different topics, posts, and course materials. Above all an opportunity for them to direct and deepen their knowledge.

    Second, a high level of responsiveness greatly enhances the quality of discussion. Students should be attentive to the initial discussion topics and to the questions and comments posed by the instructor and classmates throughout the discussion they should reply to and elaborate on the ideas raised by others, in order to expand the topic and extend the discussion thread.

    Bringing originality to discussion is also important. Even though the entire class will likely respond to the same topics, the student can make their responses a reflection of their particular ideas, interests, and concerns, they should express their own opinions, analyses, and experience in regard to a topic. To absolutely ensure that all of their thinking and also all of their posts are original, it is always best that students do not read their classmates’ posts before they begin to write their own seed posts, or for that matter even during the process of writing their seed posts. Similarly while they may find it helpful to occasionally research a topic this material should not serve as the basis of or be a substitute for their original response. Rather, it should be integrated with their ideas and analyses or presented as additional information, and the source of the information should always be properly sighted and documented.

    A thorough post is thoughtful (literally, full of thought) and meets the criteria given by the course and the instructor. Students should address all parts of a topic, and sufficiently develop, support and explain your ideas. They should use examples from course materials or relevant experiences to support their points, and be specific and concrete in presenting their ideas. Being thorough also means that the writing was clear, organized, and grammatically correct. Finally, students should have fun during it. Discussion is an opportunity for them to get to know their classmates. To practice the fine art of good conversation and to bring wit and finesse to the expression of their ideas. After all, the best learning occurs when the experience is an enjoyable one.

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammer and organization mistake--please help

    Quote Originally Posted by nraaman View Post
    The quality of discussion often makes the difference between a good and a grate online class. Both students and instructors have the responsibility to make discussion a success. While instructors undoubtedly must help guide and facilitate discussion, a valuable exchange of ideas can only happen through the efforts of Students. There are things students can do to bring energy and depth to class participation.
    The quality of discussion often makes the difference between a good and a great online class. Both students and instructors have the responsibility to make the discussion a success. While instructors undoubtedly must help guide and facilitate discussion, a valuable exchange of ideas can only happen through the efforts of students. There are things students can do to bring energy and depth to class participation.

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Online Class Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by nraaman View Post
    The first strategy is to take initiative during discussion. In adult education, worthwhile discussions are student-driven. Therefore, students took an active role in helping to generate discussion. Use discussion to promote they’re own learning, by asking questions, exploring issues, and making connections between different topics, posts, and course materials. Above all an opportunity for them to direct and deepen their knowledge.
    The first strategy is to take initiative during discussion. In adult education, worthwhile discussions are student-driven. Therefore, students take an active role in helping to generate discussion. Use discussion to promote their learning by asking questions, exploring issues, and making connections between different topics, posts, and course materials. Above all, make discussion an opportunity for them to direct and deepen their knowledge.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Online Class Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by nraaman View Post
    Second, a high level of responsiveness greatly enhances the quality of discussion. Students should be attentive to the initial discussion topics and to the questions and comments posed by the instructor and classmates throughout the discussion they should reply to and elaborate on the ideas raised by others, in order to expand the topic and extend the discussion thread.
    Second, a high level of responsiveness greatly enhances the quality of discussion. Students should be attentive to the initial discussion topics and to the questions and comments posed by the instructor and classmates throughout the discussion. They should also reply to and elaborate on the ideas raised by others, in order to expand the topic and extend the discussion thread.
    Last edited by RonBee; 20-Apr-2008 at 11:52.

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Online Class Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by nraaman View Post
    Bringing originality to discussion is also important. Even though the entire class will likely respond to the same topics, the student can make their responses a reflection of their particular ideas, interests, and concerns, they should express their own opinions, analyses, and experience in regard to a topic.
    Bringing originality to discussions is also important. Even though the entire class will likely respond to the same topics, the students can make their responses a reflection of their particular ideas, interests, and concerns. They should express their own opinions, analyses, and experiences in regard to a topic.

Similar Threads

  1. how to organize an english class
    By sallyhoudongmei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2007, 02:52
  2. Online quizzes for Remedial Reading Class
    By Eva L. Alcantara in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2007, 10:13
  3. Online Games in VietNam ?
    By hookeba in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2006, 07:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •